1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Panda_, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Panda_

Panda_ Well-Known Member

Hi folks,

Looking for recommendations on a new/refurb monitor to replace this old HKC 24".
    Was considering just getting a monitor calibrator (X-Rit​e Colo​rMunk​i Smil​e) but seeing what options are about now for monitors as I've not had an upgrade in a while.

Ideally something suited for editing my photos, but would be nice to have 120hz too for (FPS) gaming. A lot of people recommend the BenQ XL2411Z but unsure how that would be with a lot of processing too?

Cheers

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I am not sure if gaming and accurate colour work go together. I bought a low end NEC for photoediting and looking now at the adverts the price of Spectraview monitors seems to have come down. They support hardware calibration. But for gaming you probably need to look elsewhere.

3. Panda_

Panda_ Well-Known Member

Cheers PeteRob!
    Would love to get a spectraview or something of that calibre but way out of my budget.
    Should have added it to my original post, but looking for something around the €200 mark, I'm sure there's some half decent IPS monitor I could pick up for that price that is better than my current. Saving up for a 6D and lens at the moment, otherwise could stretch the price a bit more.

The gaming part isn't essential, as ideally one would want 2 monitors for that setup, was just a nice thought to get something that's ~120hz too.

4. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

28" 4K monitors are coming down to a sensible price nowadays :D

5. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Definitely, but even better a 33" 4K.

6. Panda_

Panda_ Well-Known Member

7. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I'm not 100% convinced by big displays. I have a pair of 24" LCDs but, these days, I find myself using the 15" screens on my MacBooks in preference.

8. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I am! I've been using my 30" Apple Cinema Screen (1600x2560) for many years and simply couldn't go back to a smaller one.