1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New memory cards

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GeoffR, Sep 18, 2020.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think I said previously that many of my best images recently have been in the middle of a sequence that wouldn't have been possible with film.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I use as big cards as I can, on the grounds that you can lose shots if you're changing cards (quite an issue for my conference work, as well as sport) and that the only time I've corrupted a card, it was whilst trying to change it during the write cycle. Probably not an issue anymore...

But I don't feel any pressure to fill the card, or take extra shots simply because I can. Perhaps I did at the start of my digital journey, but not now. I use several 256 gig cards - they give me peace of mind. A 2 GB card would simply worry me for no benefit,

So there are several ways of looking at it, as ever, and no one size fits all.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I completely agree that too small a card simply restores one of the failings of film, the need to keep changing it. For me 256GB would be too big to be practical but then I don't shoot more than a couple of hundred on a busy day. For me 32GB is more than adequate but everyone will have a different idea of what is right for them. I used 2GB cards with my D2H but the image files were much smaller than I am producing now,

One other factor that imposes a limitation on my card size is that for some reason Nikon cameras create a new folder if there are more than 1000 images on a card, change the card before that point and you can get 10,000 images in a folder (not that the folder actually exists if it is spread across several cards). Purely for my own convenience I like to keep my card capacity below 1,000 images. Totally illogical in most respects.

4. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I still use the same mode of working as film days,that is every shot considered before taking.
    I see no need to fire of dozens of shots just because the camera can.
    I almost never fill up a card.I think my highest capacity CF card is 4Gb.

5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I am almost as parsimonious shooting digital as when I used large format. Many times I will look at a subject, walk around think, then decide I can't make a photo work and walk away.
    That being said, none of the cameras I'm looking at now save to memory cards.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I shoot a variety of subjects, one of which is birds in flight. There is no possible way I could have captured some of the images I have without taking dozens of shots, they were part of a sequence following a bird through a series of manoeuvres. I don’t however shoot in continuous mode, each image results from a deliberate press of the shutter. Some would have been impossible for me had I been using film. The Nikon F5 is a superb camera but it’s AF is not a patch on the Nikon D4, the F5 just wouldn’t have been able to focus fast enough. A 4GB card in a D4 equates to 110 images which would probably be sufficient most of the time. There is just one minor problem, there are no 4GB XQD cards.

Of course if your chosen subjects don’t move as fast or you are prepared to miss the “moment”, I respect your methods. It is just that in my opinion there are times when taking dozens of shots “because the camera can” is perfectly appropriate. There are also times when that isn’t appropriate, the difficulty is in recognising those times and being prepared to exploit them, something that requires large memory cards and/or the ability to overflow the primary card.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don’t see much difference in viewpoint. My first camera wouldn’t address more than 4 GB and it was an inordinate amount of storage at the time. I crept up 8, 16 and now I use 32 GB cards with an overall gain on the number of images able to be stored even though file sizes have increased. The cameras all have double slots so that’s 64 GB per camera. If I was doing an event I’d have two cameras (long and short lenses) so that’s 128 GB. I’ve only twice I think gone onto a second card and only once filled a camera. I find sorting the results fatiguing so, even where burst mode would help capture a bird in flight, I do as Geoff does and rely on a double-tap approach. I’d rather miss the moment, knowing that I’d tried, than sort 200 almost identical shots looking for “the best” one. I’ve sat in bird hides next to people machine gunning at more or less static subjects so some evidently enjoy it.