1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New memory cards

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GeoffR, Sep 18, 2020.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Anyone who has been following the latest camera launches will have seen that some use CFExpress cards, some use only XQD but can use CFExpress with a firmware update. Has anybody noticed just how expensive these wonder cards are? I though £100 for a 32G XQD was bad but CFExpress seem even more expensive with the cheapest cards costing around £170, all be it 128GB. Buying a new camera that uses these cards could mean finding an addition £700 if the camera has two slots and you want spares!

Thoughts anyone?

2. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Choose your next camera carefully !
    It seems the world's gone video mad so the cameras are being made to accept the extra fast cards to keep the buffer emptying .

I'm I the only one who never uses the video record setting ?
    The ends up paying the extra for a non used function ?

ascu75 likes this.
  3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Expensive hobby.
    These cards are ones that are necessary for 4k (and higher 8k) video shooting. If you're not shooting vids do you need such speedy cards?

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You are not alone. I’ve never used it.

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I have, but only accidentally when they put the video button too close to the shutter release! :mad:

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You don't get the choice. If you buy a Nikon Z6 or Z7 you have no option but to buy XQD cards. A 32GB XQD card is around £100 the same applies to the D6 except that you get the option to use CFExpress cards, a 64GB version is around £170 but you could get a 128GB card for the same price. Oh, I forgot to mention that a card reader is another £140!

I have to say that XQD cards copy to my computer extremely quickly, but not that much faster than my fastest CF cards at a quarter of the price.

I can only hope CFExpress cards will come down in price once other manufacturers get onboard.

7. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I do find this rather sharp practice from the manufacturers. The price of most current
    full frame mirrorless cameras, matched lenses and memory cards will make this end of the market only open to pros and wealthy amateurs.

8. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Are the XQD and CFE cards physically identical to other cards? If they are, maybe downloading the cameras user manual and carefully trawling through the it's menus, you just might find that as well as being able to re-assign the the video button to something else, once also set it on the cameras lowest quality video format, it allows you to use lower rated cards?
    I very much doubt it, but you might even find that you can completely disable it's video functionality, thereby allowing you to use other lesser cards?

9. PeteRob

Why call it sharp practice? It is a new product they are creating in a market place that is shrinking. It isn’t consumer land where you halve the price and sell twice as many. No-one has “got to buy” these things. It is inevitable that prices are high. If they set the price wrongly (high) for their target market they will have no sales and the price will correct. Hopefully they won’t go bust in the process.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  10. PeteRob

I think the cards are physically different. The price will probably come down in time but to those people going out and recording 256 GB a pop the price of a memory card isn’t going to be huge compared to the cost of the computing power and archive storage they are going to need to process this data. Taking stills only then you don’t really need that many cards. If it has dual slots you put a card in each as part of the camera purchase and that’s it more or less for the life of the camera.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

XQD and CFExpress cards are nothing like other cards in terms of form factor or addressing so, no you can’t use something cheaper.
    The price of XQD cards hasn’t dropped significantly in nine years but more manufacturers are using CFExpress so that should come down.
    I have four XQD cards for two cameras, the second slot on each takes a CF card, I do it that way because if I go on holiday I want to keep any full cards as a back-up to the copy on my computer. I'll keep the images on the cards until I get home and back-up the computer. That said, two 256GB cards would take a long time to fill, I would probably still want one spare per camera body.

12. PeteRob

I just looked at the size of my complete digital photo archive on my mac - 478 GB since 2007. Allowing that file sizes are bigger than they were a pair of 256 GB cards would still take me several years to fill up!

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

OK you are rather abstemious by our standards, I have a 2TB drive that I shared with my wife, it is very nearly full. My share of that is about 1TB since 2003. That averages at 59GB a year but I started off with a 6MP camera then moved to 4MP (much better camera) before going to 12MP and now 16MP however, I had the 12MP cameras in pairs and the 16MP cameras are a pair so the bias is towards recent years. So far this year 217GB, meaning a 256GB card would last up to two years, assuming an even split between camera bodies.

However, I never ditch anything on the basis that a future technology might make some of them worth another visit. Probably a waste of storage space but it is the way I do things. I also have a huge archive of audio files, talks mainly but wedding and funeral services plus any number of carol services. I suppose I am a bit of a digital horder.

14. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I think we all have to accept that camera tech including the memory cards are going to stay pretty high in price.

As mentioned by Geoff, it isn't consumerism for us - millions may buy smartphones, some with a standard micro-SD card, but CFexpress is only ever going to be used by enthusiasts and pros. Gone are the days when your average bod would buy a compact camera that needed an SD card, so if they aren't produced in volume, they aren't going to be cheap.
    The one thing that CFExpress has going for it is that it isn't owned by bloody Sony, who like to shoot themselves in the foot by not releasing the standard.
    Mind you, the new SD Express cards are also going to muddy the waters.

15. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I`m not in the least tempted by new cameras.I`m quite content with my Sony Alpha 350,14.2 Mb.I doesn`t have video
    but I have no interest in video.The Alpha does all I need using standard Compact Flash cards.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  16. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

A man after my own heart. I still use the A350's big(ger) brother the A850, but it does everything I want, nothing I don't want, and can see no reason at all to change it!

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have to say that I am pleased for you both. However, my "new" cameras are bot around 9 years old and accept XQD cards, as well as CF cards, but my policy with a dual slot camera is to have both slots occupied and it turns out that XQD cards are much easier and quicker to remove than CF cards (they are like SD cards in this respect).

Sooner or later, I fear, straight SD cards will become obsolete, HC and XC remaining available. At that point some older cameras may become unusable and owners will be forced to upgrade. This is the point at which the high cost of new card types will really bite, if the card costs a large proportion of the asking price for the used camera it could be a deal breaker and/or the end of the road for an otherwise excellent camera.

18. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

I've a few older DSLRs, Pentax and Samsung, which took only SD cards (up to 2gb) on release but had subsequent firmware updates to allow the use of SDHC cards (up to 32gb). I only have one compact that still can't go past 2gb, but I have a substantial stock of 2gb cards, because as well as photography I need them for radio use. The excellent DAB radio Pure Evoke 3 has the facility to record programmes to card, but only up to 2gb.

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Just suppose for one minute that you were to sell your camera. You wouldn't let go of the 2GB cards because you need them for radio. Thus, would a prospective purchaser buy it unless they had suitable cards? The answer is probably no because the effort of finding cards would exceed the price of the camera. There will be devices out there that already where that is the case. Lower capacity CF cards may also create a similar issue.

20. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about CF cards: the only DSLR I have that takes them is old (2003) but seems to take both Type I and Type 11: I think there's a difference in physical thickness, but in practice it just means one is a tighter fit than the other.

On a different tack, we often read of people taking too many shots on digital: there's no real cost so fire away. Or conversely we read of people missing the limits of film - making every shot count when there are only 36, or even 24. Here, again, a 2gb card could be useful. I just checked with one in my highest resolution camera - 24 megapixels, APS (C) and available images are 109 Jpeg, 37 RAW or 27 RAW and Jpeg.