1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by sam.spoons, Nov 20, 2019.

1. sam.spoons

sam.spoons Active Member

Hi, I'm new here (but not new to the mag or photography). Starting to get back into it after a few years doing other stuff. My other interests are sailing dinghies and music particularly Gypsy Jazz, Bluegrass (I'm a guitar player).

Current gear list :-

Canon 50D x 2
    Sigma 17-35mm f2.8 EX
    Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 EX
    Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX
    Sigma 2 x Teleconverter for 70-200mm
    Sigma 18-300 f3.5-5.6

EightBitTony likes this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Welcome to the madhouse. Hope you enjoy it here.

Kate

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Unless it's a reference to where you drink, I rather think we might share some taste in music... Got my bright orange Sam Spoons T-shirt in the wardrobe of my soul right now.

As Kate says, you don't have to be mad to come here. We provide training.

John Farrell and Catriona like this.
  4. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Welcome!

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

If you upload a few of your images to the Gallery page we can see what kind of stuff you like to photograph.
    Don't forget to resize images to 1000 - 1200 pixels on the longer side first.

I see that you have 2 APS-C camera bodies, but 3 of your 4 lenses are full frame ones, so you won't be getting the full 'wide view' from the 17-35 because of the cropped image. Do you plan to get a full frame body in the future?

6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

7. sam.spoons

sam.spoons Active Member

Yes, I am a fan of a certain band, though not, as was once asked, a former member. :)

gray1720 likes this.
  8. gray1720

Given that he's the wrong side of the turf I'd be very, very scared if you were!

Another forum I'm on has a member called Dave Swarbrick - AFAIK it's his real name, and he spent a lot of time explaining that no, he wasn't the same one.

9. sam.spoons

sam.spoons Active Member

No, probably not, I bought the full frame lenses as there were no fast lenses available for native APS-C format (at least not used and at prices I could afford). I had a 10D at the time (bought used) so it's a fair number of years ago. Obviously I'm aware of the way the crop sensor affects the effective focal length and for much of what I do the benefit of greater reach was what I desired. FWIW I was looking at a 10-17mm yesterday.

10. sam.spoons

sam.spoons Active Member

As, indeed, is Swarb.......

11. gray1720

Yep, St Peter's got one hell of a house band these days.

12. sam.spoons

sam.spoons Active Member

You sure they didn't go the other way?

gray1720 likes this.
  13. gray1720

That's a strong possibility! Sam, however, was lovely (and, like me, a purveyor of ultra-slow leg breaks), so I reckon he's gone up.
    If Swarb's gone down, there's a young fiddler in Georgia named Johnny who's going to be in big trouble anytime soon!

14. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the fold Sam

15. sam.spoons

sam.spoons Active Member

:) Never saw the Bonzo's live sadly. I adopted the nickname in my early dalliance with CB Radio and cars so kept on using it as an internet pseudonym when the time came.

Fairports were another favourite band, didn't see them live either but did see Swarb and Nichol. Still have a continuing interest in folk and folk rock.

16. sam.spoons

sam.spoons Active Member

17. gray1720

Far too young for the Bonzos proper, but did see (and got to meet them afterwards) Almost the Bonzo Dog Band's last show in 2015 (Roger, Rodney, Sam, Larry and Vernon, plus Dave Glasson). A fellow cricketer used to know Larry back in the day, he being an Oxford lad, though Larry confessed that he'd been too drunk to remember.

Being in Oxfordshire, we've ended up as Cropredy regulars so have seen a lot of Fairport (far more than of my favourite band, in fact!) - fond memories of Swarb's last appearance there which went something like:

Fairport: We're going to play this (forget what it was now)

Swarb: I'm going to play Sir Patrick Spens

Fairport: Oh, erm, all right then. *all play Sir Patrick Spens*

We also saw Swarb and Martin Carthy - a good job Swarb was such a good talker because, honestly, if we'd had to sit through Carthy tuning up before every damn song for an entire evening without the comic relief I think the audience would have stormed the stage and stuffed his guitar somewhere sunless.

18. sam.spoons

sam.spoons Active Member

My nearest encounter with folk royalty like Martin Carthy was with his squeeze box player and ex son-in-law Saul Rose. I did PA for Faustus and my duo was support. Saul mixed our soundcheck on my newly acquired iPad controlled digital mixer (something he had not had hands on before).

gray1720 likes this.
  19. sam.spoons

sam.spoons Active Member

So you've set me thinking, and trawling ebay for full frame bodies :rolleyes: I don't want a lower sensor resolution than the 50D (though I might learn to live with a smaller review screen if I can find a decent 1Ds) so am looking for a 5D mkII. Price is also a consideration and I'm trying yo fond the optimum balance between price, condition and shutter count. Would you buy an older 1DS or a 5D?