1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New member, old pics

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by sam.spoons, Dec 4, 2019.

1. sam.spoons

sam.spoons Active Member

I'm a new member, recently trying to get back into photography. Here are a couple of pics I took 10+ years ago at Manchester Academy 2 (a couple of mates bands were playing).

Juno Ashes copy.jpg IMG_0614 copy.jpg

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the appraisal value of 10 year old pics as you'll have moved on in that time. I don't get much sense of engagement with either. Different if you know them. Focus is forward on the top one so it looks a bit soft on his face.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I think the technology has moved on too. First one has real IQ problems with burnout, chromatic noise and white balance issues (even allowing for possible colour of the lights). Second the focus is way off. Modern face / eye recognition will help. But generally, it is such a familiar subject area that people try for more in terms of atmosphere, drama from lights, etc, emotion.

4. sam.spoons

sam.spoons Active Member

Thanks guys, I've had something of a sabbatical since those were taken in 2006. Pretty sure they were shot with a 10D and Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX but I don't think I have RAW anywhere to confirm. Back then post processing will have been no more than auto levels in Preview, something I plan to improve on in the future.

I see the softness, the first pic looks as if I let the AF focus on the singers hand :( Not sure how to address the 'engagement' issue, it would be nice if they were looking at the camera but it's a performance not a photo shoot. Still, FWIW, I was/am quite pleased with those, not going to win any prizes but the subjects liked them. Will pay more attention to detail next time.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Definitely. I never had the 10D but I do have it's replacement, the 20D. Low light performance was not great both in terms of image noise and AF performance - which tended to be slow and a bit erratic. In poor light my much more up to date 80D is considerably better on both counts...

Technical issues aside I quite like both pictures, particularly the 1st one with the light streaks behind the singers head. I don't mind the closed eyes either - he's gone man, solid gone...:D

6. sam.spoons

sam.spoons Active Member

Thanks Nigel, I have a couple of 50Ds now, bought this summer, and am contemplating a 5D mkII for it's full frame sensor. They seem to offer the best budget/performance balance. The plan is to get to a couple of times a month with #1 son taking pics so not super serious but should be fun.

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Sure, but that's true of almost anything you shoot. Your timing is key to the whole thing.

8. sam.spoons

sam.spoons Active Member

Yes, 'the decisive moment'.