1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New lens tech - skinnier than a skinny thing

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by AndyTake2, Jun 10, 2021.

1. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Some interesting tech just started to emerge.
    It's not going to be around for a while I suspect, but researchers have developed a way of creating lenses which would be true pancake lenses, including those that make up a telescope.

It uses the angle of light, rather than position...almost makes me sound like I know what I am talking about:D

anyway, read further:
    https://scitechdaily.com/spaceplate...mera-bump-and-hello-to-paper-thin-telescopes/

daft_biker likes this.
  2. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

I don't think is was very well explained in the article and as it is stated in the article this is not how conventional optical theory works.
    More detail would be interesting but it is probably the intellectual property of which ever company bank rolled the research, and if it is as good as it sounds will be of great commercial value.
    Thanks for posting the link.

3. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I agree it's not well explained, possibly even more vague than the previous article I saw on meta surfaces.
    Surely for imagine BOTH position & angle are needed, this is how normal optics work as can be seen in their ray tracing of illustrations via normal lenses. The illustration for the meta lens alone completely ignores the exit path of the second ray.
    I'm sure the physics involved will be way above my knowledge, if they can turn it into affordable, ultra compact telephotos, that work as well as the primes from the 1970s I'll have a few lenses that will want upgrading. However I'm not convinced, & won't start saving yet :)

Learning and zx9r like this.
  4. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Yes thinking about it more there must be a down side, think the Canon DO lens, they were never well loved despite the smaller, lighter, cheaper (?) benefits.

Petrochemist likes this.
  5. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I'm sure the first iterations will be pretty dire. If the tech does prove it's worth, it will be a long time until it becomes a reality.

Totally agree that the explanation is as clear as mud, and I would need lots of caffeine to begin to understand it:p

6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Seems to be one of very many spin-offs of quantum research.

This may well be the start of a new optical industry. But they do not yet have a road map, they may not have the right tools or even the best way of thinking about it yet. The future of photography maybe on the move again.

zx9r likes this.
  7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I'd still rather have a set of tilt and shift bellows.

Skinny lenses might be useful in mobile phones though.

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The original paper isn't much clearer. I got distracted so didn't finish reading it.

zx9r likes this.