1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Loc56, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Loc56

Loc56 Member

Hi my Granddaughter is going to university in September to study photography

She had a budget of around £700 any thoughts on a laptop only requirement must be Windows.

thanks in advance Tony

2. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Don't forget to budget for decent antivirus software, and make sure she knows about setting up passwords more secure than her date of birth or pet's name.

4. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Has the university given her any details / specification on a suitable machine for the course? Will she also have to purchase software?

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Out of interest, why Windows? I only ask as my daughter did Art at university. After looking at several uni's for both Photography and Art (she was undecided about the 2) every uni we visited used Macs. She did eventually do art but she had access to the Mac suites.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I’d ask what she will use it for. Reason being that, while my last few years at work we all had “laptops”, they were, in use, sat in a docking station. So for practical purposes they were desktops, complete with separate keyboards and (double) monitors. We’d take them to meetings, home etc. to do occasional work but anything serious needs a proper desk. I don’t do much work now I’m retired but I keep a monitor/keyboard/mouse at our caravan to use with my (for work only) laptop. It is a low end Levono, chosen because it has a big screen and can display two documents side by side at a readable size font. Totally useless for image editing.

7. Loc56

Loc56 Member

Hi thankyou for the replies something to think about.
    The only reason for windows is that she is used to it.
    Thanks Tony

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Contrary to what you may have heard, getting used to a Mac isn't difficult. I suggest that you find out from the university what they recommend for the specific course.

9. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Hi, I had a top spec Sony , When it ground to a halt I went for a Mac book, even though I dislike the company, but there products are great to use, I now use an I Mac, perfect for editing. Though I have to use a older OS as the new one will not run PS 6. You should be able to get a 2nd hand MacBook for the budget. I changed in my 50's , after using windows for 15 years or so, and was up to speed in about 2 weeks.Hope this helps.

10. PeteRob

I was a bit surprised to see macs used at University (this was in Mech Eng at Surrey, way back). Perhaps it is a total cost of ownership thing. Work used PCs but they were absolutely standard with a custom operating system version, custom office etc., much the same as macs are standardised. A corporate HP laptop with service contract is probably not so far off an equivalent mac in price. Aside from the GUI, a mac also runs a posix compliant Unix. Universities tend to use Unix workstations for computing purposes so the cross-over from mac to workstation is perhaps not such a big jump.

I guess my age group grew up so much in the age where there were many platforms. I had one job that needed the project to run on VMS so I had a lovely VAXstation and 19” monitor on my desk for a while. A 19” CRT monitor is BIG! That was 1989 so PCs were probably still 286 processors? The VAX would support 200 users I think :).

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My experience is that corporate customised Windows was as stable as a Mac, the problem was that using a company machine meant using somebody else’s choice of software. That choice was often “expert” level software and often beyond what I needed, image editing I would have got PhotoShop, massively over specified for my purposes.

A student starting a university course shouldn’t have a problem with either MacOS or Windows but it would be best to use what the university recommends.

12. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Way, way back when I was at Surrey, we didn't have computers. There was much excitement when the course acquired a Commodore PET (remember them?)

I'd definitely check with the Uni on whether or not Windows or a Mac is recommended; when my elder daughter did a one-year foundation-type degree some years ago, the Uni recommended a Mac and there was a small student discount involved too through an "official" website

13. PeteRob

Yes. I remember one arriving when I was at Soton. Probably 1977/8. If you wrote a loop in basic to count to, say, 1000 in floating point steps of something small like 0.001 then it would show rounding errors.

14. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

My first was a colour Genie, Z80 processor and 4K RAM, followed a couple of years later by an Amstrad 1512 one 5.25 floppy 512K RAM which I upgraded to 640K, also added a 3.5 floppy and after a while a 32M hard disc on an expansion card. I programmed mostly in Basic but included sub routines in machine code. I ran DR DOS rather than MS DOS found it was usually 2 or 3 months ahead of MS DOS. Then came the 1640, anybody remember GEM? I next built my own 286.