1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Hobby

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Dec 20, 2019.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It's taken a few weeks of setting up the tank, landscaping, planting and getting the water right, but I now have fish in my tropical aquarium set up. Any other fish-keepers on the forum? I've stocked a mixed community with Adolfoi and Sterbai Corydoras, Glowlight Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras and two Dwarf Gouramis.

Here's George & Mildred, the Dwarf Gouramis :

81442377_10156562573016669_304717114923548672_o.jpg

79545508_10156562572846669_1824138276366188544_o.jpg

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Not for about fifty years.
    One of the things I fancied doing was to set up a tank to resemble just one river/lake from one part of the world. Never got round to it before I went to uni and parents sold the kit.

S

ps how are you going to milk them? Aqualung or just a snorkel?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    AndyTake2 and MJB like this.
  3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

One of my cousins is right into his aquariums... think he's a regional manager for a chain store which involves him travelling to buy fish from around the world as well as the keeping tabs on a number of shops. Still does it as a hobby too.

MJB likes this.
  4. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

I’ve kept fish for years in the past, freshwater tropical, cold water and even a marine set up some years ago.

My favourite aquarium fish are cichlids and if I were to set up another tank I would stock it exclusively with African Rift Valley cichlids found in lakes Malawi and Tanganyika. They’re very colourful for freshwater fish and look after their young in their mouths, this results in them being bred in captivity, therefore no fish are taken from their wild habitat, something you can rarely say about marine fish for example.

MJB and daft_biker like this.
  5. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I suppose an aquarium would also be great for those who also like sitting on a bank, dangling a bit of string into the water, Slightly going off at a tangent, my sympathies go out to the Poles and other Eastern Europeans who go fishing and then get told, the object of this exercise is NOT to then take their catches away and EAT them! :D

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

But where does the hobby bit come in? Do you sit watching them, rather than the telly? Or is cleaning the tank out a daily event?

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Not exactly an aquarium but might give something like this a go...

8. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

My wife bought a small (19l) aquarium for our daughter in the summer. I set it up and left it to mature as we were going on holiday at the end of August. When we came back we got an oranda. Ideally we should only have had one in the tank but after a couple of weeks they strong-armed me into getting another one. A couple of weeks later, the original fish started rolling on its side and going belly up. I removed it, did a water change and it seemed to recover. I ended up buying a 54l aquarium for the pair of them and even that will probably be too small for them eventually. I might see if I can put a few small fish in the old tank or just one that would be ok on its own.

9. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

They're lovely. Be careful if your gouramis mate, they do this sometimes. You may find the female sat on the bottom of the tank looking a bit dead, she's probably fine, but may need a bit of quiet time away from the other fish.

I keep tropicals, I have 2 old timer syno catfish, one I bought, another I was given because it ate all its previous owner's small fish. Both over 20 years old, I had no idea they lived that long.

10. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I go in every so often a just watch the fish for 5 or ten minutes. it's very relaxing.

11. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I have an excellent recipe for a deep-fry batter, if you would like it. :eek::D

12. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

This time of the year, the Polish keep live Carp. - In the bath for about 2 weeks. - Then it's served up Christmas Eve!