1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New firmware 1.1 for E-P1 and kit lenses

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by nspur, Sep 15, 2009.

1. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

Claimed to improve C-AF and autofocus generally. C-AF is greatly improved and S-AF is faster though still slower than the G1.

2. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

And then still slower than the GF1 I take it?

3. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

I would imagine so. Actually the improvement in C-AF is very significant.

4. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Hmmm, this doesn't help my decision on which to buy whatsoever. The maligned AF on the Oly was one of the reasons why I was leaning towards the Panasonic. I still am, but it's less clear cut now. I'd like to see a side by side review of these two, along with a Leica X1, Sigma DP2 and Ricoh GRIII.

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Barney,

Just to make your decision more difficult here is a user's comments on the improvement achieved Update comments

Roger

6. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Thanks Roger. It's a tough call, and I'm anticipating the release of stock of GF-1's with relish so I can go into a shop and compare the two side by side.

7. Bone_Idle

Bone_Idle Well-Known Member

But then you'll be saying ' the E-P2 will be out soon, might just have to see if that ticks a few more boxes' :D

On the release of the e-P2 you'll be thinking , 'Mmmm. the GF2 is due in a month or two!' :D

8. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

Curses! I can't actually upgrade the firmware! I'm a linux user and you have to use their software to do so... *grumbles*

I'm going to have to find someone else's computer to do it with now!

Also it means I'm actually going to have to find the box again so I can get their USB cable out!

Oh for being able to download f/ware updates to memory card...

9. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

I got excited about the GF1 until I found out that the optional electronic viewfinder is 202k dots and costs £195. The G1's EVF is pretty good but it's 1,440k dots.

I think the real clincher is if you need in-body IS. I do, so that's why I have the E-P1.

10. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Nah, I'm itching to get one as it is. I wouldn't put it off any longer than absolutely necessary.

11. Bone_Idle

Bone_Idle Well-Known Member

I'm still not committing, even though I now have money for it. I still feel it is a lot to pay especially when the E-620 and 25mm pancake is only £600! :(

12. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Tom,

I am very busy for the next couple of weeks or so but if you have not managed to update your PEN by then drop me a PM with a phone number and we could possibly arrange for you to update it via my copy of Master2. We are both in the Reading area

Roger

13. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

Thanks, that's greatly appreciated, hopefully I'll have been able to by then, but if not I'll give you a shout.