1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

New camera!

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by beatnik69, Jul 8, 2020.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I know Nikon's software isn't popular, but it is free, it will let you view your files and convert them to another format, such as TIFF, if that helps.

2. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

4. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I did try that last night, but wasn't happy with it. I've got Lightroom Classic installed now, so I'm a happy camper once more.

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I still use PSE7, and it opens RAW files from a more recent camera body - but it's a Pentax so I get DNG format RAW files from it. I'd suggest looking at Adobe's website to see if they still offer free RAW converters that will let you produce DNG format RAW files from your camera manufacturer's proprietary RAW format. I believe that only Leica and Pentax allow the option of DNG format RAW files 'straight from the camera', which makes me wary of other manufacturers that do not.

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Too late if Beatnik has already subscribed to CC.
    Also too late to suggest that using Nikon software to de-mosaic and do basic adjustments, and the export as 16bit Tiffs. 16bit Tiffs can be read by most editing software. The files are large (typically three times the raw size) but unlike jpeg (which is 8bit) very little data is lost on the transfer.
    That is convenient but as far as I know DNG does not support all the data that Nikon stores in NEF.

7. PeteRob

If they don’t then that’s the end of DNG. The only thing going for it [an Adobe proposed universal format] is longevity. The fear was that, in time, older proprietary formats would become unsupported. This doesn’t seem to have happened although, it is only 20 or so years since the technology started.

8. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I'm on a 7 day free trial, so could still cancel, but I've been playing around with LR Classic and like some of the features, plus I also get the latest version of Photoshop and Bridge, plaus a couple of other apps as well.

EightBitTony likes this.
  9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Can I suggest if you stop assuming what everyone else does or doesn't know, it might go easier? I've seen a few of your posts say 'no one will ...' or 'everyone must ...'. Maybe it's a choice of words. I would think many people under a particular age have never heard of TIFF files, but many people over an age have, and there'll be people on either side of that line who buck the trend. But on a forum where the average age of active posters is probably north of 55, there's probably plenty of folk who've heard of and used TIFF files.

Craig20264 likes this.
  10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I'd probably pay the subscription just for the image library feature, if that's all Lightroom did. Nothing else comes close.

beatnik69 likes this.
  11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Your Nikons can produce TIFF files as an option.
    The quoted blog says "Many image viewers as well as image manipulation software available today support TIFF. That alone guarantees the format will still be around for another decade for sure."
    I don't shoot TIFF files but it is an option, files are, as stated, huge. The advantage is that TIFFs can be opened by almost any editor and they are lossless meaning that if all else fails you can convert from NEF to TIFF without losing any data.

12. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

As a point of interest, Sony ARW files are TIFF based, and I suspect many other raw formats are as well.

EightBitTony likes this.
  13. PeteRob

Canon CR2 files share some common features with TIFF. I’d guess one basic design idea makes the basis of a wheel.

EightBitTony likes this.
  14. Stephen Rundle

You speak the way you want to and I will speak as I want to and do not correct the way other people speak, I would not correct a Northerner or you for what i consider to be incorrect use of the English language, which I could have done many times when I believe your words inappropriate. :)

Many old people may have (ooops wrong choice of words :) ) will have used TIFF files I bet no, NO youngsters have ever used them, or PNG, BAT, or HEIF all of which I have a I was simply stating a point from my perspective on an open forum.

Finally there is NOTHING wrong with saying "I doubt if most have even heard of it" as I did unless you took it as personal. And childish bickering like this is not good for a place like AP, it isn't facebook, why don't you PM a person and don't lower the tone of the best forum around. Just saying.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

If you state something as fact that's clearly untrue, you'll get pulled up on it. If you state it as your opinion, fine.

Despite US and UK governments' behaviour, we still care about accuracy on here. :)

And you lose your bet. My 18 year old son has certainly used TIFF files. So have all his schoolmates - it's part of the European Computer Driving Licence syllabus, which they all did. And therein lies the problem with stating opinions as facts - most opinions simply aren't very well informed. If you want to avoid "bickering", as you put it, make more of an effort to be precise in the first place. Unless you've hard evidence to support what you're saying, make it clear it's your opinion. As you pointed out, this isn't Facebook. We expect higher standards. We're generally disapointed... ;)

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  16. Stephen Rundle

I will not lower the tone of a respected forum by a continuing your churlish banter, ignored.

17. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

You want to be careful about putting people on ignore just because they dare to point out your mistakes. You could end up with everyone on ignore, with no one bothering about you shouting into the void. :eek:

18. Stephen Rundle

100%

ARW files, often referred to as Sony Alpha RAW files, are images digitally captured by Sony cameras and stored in a proprietary RAW uncompressed file. The ARW format is based on the TIFF specification and is a type of RAW (Raw image format) file, containing the metadata that accurately showcases the conditions the shot was captured under. ARW files contain raw, uncompressed image data as captured by the camera's sensors.

AND

The ISO standard raw image format is ISO 12234-2, better known as TIFF/EP. (TIFF/EP also supports "non-raw", or "processed", images). TIFF/EP provided a basis for the raw image formats of a number of cameras. For example, Nikon's NEF raw files are based on TIFF/EP, and include a tag which identifies the version of TIFF/EP they are based on.[19] Adobe's DNG raw file format was based on TIFF/EP, and the DNG specification states "DNG ... is compatible with the TIFF-EP standard"

I suppose you could correctly say that the Lamborghini Murciélago is based on a model T ford, it has 4 wheels seats and an engine :) :), I can;'t help being me ;)

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Ignoring a moderator probably isn't a good idea.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  20. Stephen Rundle