1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

New camera!

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by beatnik69, Jul 8, 2020.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Compared to £2,300 I think £490 is affordable, not that I would buy one, for what I hope is an obvious reason. However, you are right it isn't everybody who can spare £490 for what is an occasional use item.

It is indeed a very nice camera, I know someone who shoots weddings with a pair of them and she is very happy with the results.

2. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I agree it is a nice camera

beatnik69 likes this.
  3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I looked this up on Nikon's website - perhaps a bit heavy, but if that's fine with you I can't see any reason to 'upgrade'. A 16 mp sensor is more than adequate for 40x60 cm, or sometimes 50x75 cm, prints if you used a decent lens and didn't crop the image much.

https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/product/discontinued/digital-cameras/2016/d4s

4. Stephen Rundle

Well I bought it new with an 810 and I'm still happy.

5. Stephen Rundle

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

beatnik69 likes this.
  7. Stephen Rundle

Well you now what I mean :)

8. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I still have a D40. Great little camera in its day.

9. IanG1957

IanG1957 Well-Known Member

Why?

10. Stephen Rundle

11. IanG1957

IanG1957 Well-Known Member

Actually, no it doesn't.

The few camera bodies I have actually sold went happily without being wrapped, and without boxes too. I'm guilty of keeping pretty much everything I purchase and don't buy bodies second-hand (call me a snob, but I actually prefer a manufacturers guarantee, particularly as I earn money from my cameras)

Ergonomically my camera bodies fit my hands - I fully realize these silicone 'skins' are not very thick, they're just not for me.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It was pretty much inevitable that having a D750 and a 750D would cause some confusion.

13. Stephen Rundle

Imagine the problems I have had trying to find lenses for the Nikon D60 and D30 I bought :( try googling them

14. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Look at pages 34-36 in the 11th of July issue (the one with the Editor's Olympus obituary) and notice that this professional uses a D40.
    I believe she's been featured in AP before - I didn't remember her name, but did remember her CV and camera.
    A 6 megapixel sensor is probably more than adequate for a full page image in AP.

beatnik69 and Stephen Rundle like this.
  15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

At first glance it looks like a good idea but putting a cover over the illuminated buttons does seem to negate one of the advantages of the D4/D5/D6. I went to manufacturers site and looked at the yellow one (I wouldn't buy one but it is easier to see the details than it is on the black one) I don't think I will be buying any of them, too chunky and incompatible with some accessories.

16. Stephen Rundle

Absolutely, in fact I would rather (my own choice and personal want) have a Canon EOS S10D DSLR than a small new cheap compact

EOS 10D 6MP DSLR all metal c/w lens £30

17. Stephen Rundle

??

How many times has anyone here used their illuminated buttons on their camera, me never

18. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I have. Especially on a shoot and I'm in a dark place and need to quickly double check the settings or how many shots I have left on a card.

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have too, which is why I mentioned it.

Just because you don't use a facility doesn't mean that others don't find it helpful. You use manual, I use aperture priority.

20. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

The new camera came yesterday and it's a beauty. Size wise, it's not much bigger than the D7000, so feels comfortable enough in my hand. The control layout is also very familiar, so it's easy to use. I haven't tried the WiFi yet and to be honest, I'm not sure I really will. My biggest problem is that I'm using Lightroom 4 and PSE 10, neither of which support the raw files, so I've had to upgrade. I've subscribed to Lightroom CC for a year so I'll see how that goes.

EightBitTony likes this.