1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New camera!

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by beatnik69, Jul 8, 2020.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Compared to £2,300 I think £490 is affordable, not that I would buy one, for what I hope is an obvious reason. However, you are right it isn't everybody who can spare £490 for what is an occasional use item.

It is indeed a very nice camera, I know someone who shoots weddings with a pair of them and she is very happy with the results.

2. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I agree it is a nice camera

beatnik69 likes this.
  3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I looked this up on Nikon's website - perhaps a bit heavy, but if that's fine with you I can't see any reason to 'upgrade'. A 16 mp sensor is more than adequate for 40x60 cm, or sometimes 50x75 cm, prints if you used a decent lens and didn't crop the image much.

https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/product/discontinued/digital-cameras/2016/d4s

4. Stephen Rundle

Well I bought it new with an 810 and I'm still happy.

5. Stephen Rundle

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

beatnik69 likes this.
  7. Stephen Rundle

Well you now what I mean :)

8. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I still have a D40. Great little camera in its day.

9. IanG1957

IanG1957 Well-Known Member

Why?

10. Stephen Rundle

11. IanG1957

IanG1957 Well-Known Member

Actually, no it doesn't.

The few camera bodies I have actually sold went happily without being wrapped, and without boxes too. I'm guilty of keeping pretty much everything I purchase and don't buy bodies second-hand (call me a snob, but I actually prefer a manufacturers guarantee, particularly as I earn money from my cameras)

Ergonomically my camera bodies fit my hands - I fully realize these silicone 'skins' are not very thick, they're just not for me.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It was pretty much inevitable that having a D750 and a 750D would cause some confusion.

13. Stephen Rundle

Imagine the problems I have had trying to find lenses for the Nikon D60 and D30 I bought :( try googling them

14. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Look at pages 34-36 in the 11th of July issue (the one with the Editor's Olympus obituary) and notice that this professional uses a D40.
    I believe she's been featured in AP before - I didn't remember her name, but did remember her CV and camera.
    A 6 megapixel sensor is probably more than adequate for a full page image in AP.

beatnik69 and Stephen Rundle like this.
  15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

At first glance it looks like a good idea but putting a cover over the illuminated buttons does seem to negate one of the advantages of the D4/D5/D6. I went to manufacturers site and looked at the yellow one (I wouldn't buy one but it is easier to see the details than it is on the black one) I don't think I will be buying any of them, too chunky and incompatible with some accessories.

16. Stephen Rundle

Absolutely, in fact I would rather (my own choice and personal want) have a Canon EOS S10D DSLR than a small new cheap compact

EOS 10D 6MP DSLR all metal c/w lens £30

17. Stephen Rundle

??

How many times has anyone here used their illuminated buttons on their camera, me never

18. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

I have. Especially on a shoot and I'm in a dark place and need to quickly double check the settings or how many shots I have left on a card.

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have too, which is why I mentioned it.

Just because you don't use a facility doesn't mean that others don't find it helpful. You use manual, I use aperture priority.

20. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

The new camera came yesterday and it's a beauty. Size wise, it's not much bigger than the D7000, so feels comfortable enough in my hand. The control layout is also very familiar, so it's easy to use. I haven't tried the WiFi yet and to be honest, I'm not sure I really will. My biggest problem is that I'm using Lightroom 4 and PSE 10, neither of which support the raw files, so I've had to upgrade. I've subscribed to Lightroom CC for a year so I'll see how that goes.

EightBitTony likes this.