1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

New camera!

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by beatnik69, Jul 8, 2020.

1. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I've gone for it. Ordered a D750 with 24-120mm lens. The lens on its own is over a grand. I have a couple of lenses that are FX, so I'll keep them and sell the DX lenses. I know it's quite an old model, but it'll be a big advance on the D7000. Excited!

Fen, RogerMac and EightBitTony like this.
  2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Enjoy it :)

3. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Good man. New toys are great. :)

beatnik69 likes this.
  4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

One person's 'old model' is somebody else's 'classic'. Since the camera has such a good reputation, perhaps it's the last camera you will ever buy.

For a Japanese brand, anything that first went on sale more than a few months ago is often an 'old model'. I've purchased only four camera bodies new since 1973, and all were 'old models' (i.e. discontinued) which made them more affordable and a sensible choice.

beatnik69 likes this.
  5. beatnik69

As I say, it's a lot more up to date than my D7000, in that it has better AF, WiFi and so on. I was very close to not getting it, but the D7000 is showing its age a bit. I got a new set of Rollei filters so will be using live view a lot more, but the LV lever is sticking. I've tried WD40 and that helped a bit but not much. The D750 has a tilting lens which will help a lot.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

WD40 isn't the solution but some silicon lubricant, a tiny drop, might have the desired effect.
    I think you mean screen, I hope you mean screen, Tilt and Shift lenses are rather expensive!

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I've got a Pentax K5 (half-frame) that is now (by Japanese standards) ancient, but in mint condition and working perfectly. The only thing that would tempt me to replace it would be having enough 'spare' funds to get a K1 full-frame and (like you) a decent 24-120. I have some nice old K-fit lenses that are 'full frame', but I would also need a lot more 'spare' funds for a decent wide angle (14-16 mm) full frame lens.

Enjoy the new kit.

beatnik69 likes this.
  8. beatnik69

Cheers Geoff and yes, I did mean screen, of course. I'd love a T/S lens but couldn't justify the expense for all the use it would get.

9. beatnik69

I was actually tempted by the D500, which would have meant I could still use all my lenses, but it doesn't have a pop up flash. I use that as a commander for my speedlights in the Nikon CLS, so decided to go for the full frame option.

10. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Had the 24-120 lens for ages now I chose it over the 24-70 as it is more convenient.

beatnik69 likes this.
  11. Stephen Rundle

What does that make my D4s :(

12. beatnik69

Pension aged.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Younger than my D4, both of them.

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  14. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Younger than my D3, D800, D90 and D80 as well :)

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Which are in turn much younger than my F5s

16. Stephen Rundle

I bought my car new in 2006, renault Grand Scenic, for the past eight years I have considered a new car, (though it has cost me nothing other than services), but when I go to look at new cars the only one that 100% suits my needs is another of the same, therefore I don't bother.

Same with cameras, I am happy with the D4s and D810, nothing has changed in cameras at all, for me to want something newer, in fact I have gone backwards with the EOS10D and Nikkormat EL I have just bought :)

What I don't do is constantly scan magazines reading about what possible benefits a new camera could give me, after all like everyone here it is me who takes the photograph not the camera, and I know my gear inside out, I don't want to learn new................... for a long time yet. However I may look at the Nikon D10

17. Stephen Rundle

VERY nice camera very expensive now to buy

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Last time I looked they were very affordable, Aperture have one at £490 they were £2.300 new, I still have the receipts somewhere.

19. Stephen Rundle

One person's affordable .......................................... :)

20. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Which in turn is younger than... My grandmother :D

Being serious, the oldest camera I've got that still works and is used about once a year is a Minolta SR-101T.

But back on subject... the D750 is a lovely camera Beatnik, wish you lots of fun times with it :)

beatnik69 likes this.