1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

New Camera

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Kodakmommentmum, Feb 23, 2020.

?

Which is best

1. Bridge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mirrorless

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dslr

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Kodakmommentmum

Kodakmommentmum New Member

Please could people help me looking for a new camera. So far been shooting on my mobile. Unsure about whether to go for a bridge, mirrorless or DSLR . I tend to shoot landscapes, macro and portraits of the kids. What best for a complete beginner just getting into manual. Any help greatly appreciated many thanks

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

They all have merits. The bridge cameras with 1” sensors are quite good. Autofocus on mirrorless has caught up with DSLR in the last 12 months or so. Bridge might still be a bit slow, not seen a new one.

Edit: I had to move! The advantage of a bridge camera is that you don’t have to change lenses. With DSLRs and mirrorless then lenses are an additional cost. DSLRs are possibly the cheapest option these days as the “entry” models are low priced. Personally I’m of the “buy once” fraternity - I’d rather not buy something then wish I hadn’t. Personally I like the Fuji X-H1. No-one else does and it was massively discounted before Christmas, I’ve not seen a recent price, but for a mirrorless it handles very well. With any camera don’t buy on specification. Go to a camera shop (or two), get someone to talk through the choices and hold and try the cameras before you buy. You’ll only use something you are happy with.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

A difficult question really. Knowing what I know now if I was starting afresh I would buy Fujifilm mirrorless, but what is right for me may not be suitable for you. Mirrorless cameras do have some downsides, I would work with them now, I still have a DSLR system as well as the Fujifilm, the latter is mostly my camera of choice, there are things a DSLR does better though, that's when I use one.