1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New AP website coming

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ascu75, Aug 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I see from this weeks magazine we are getting a new website for us to muck up ;) I hope we keep the lounge I enjoy our little tête-à-tête here. It will enable us to say things like “in the old days on the original site” and “we used to have a site far worse than this”:D. I love the lounge and don’t use the site to its full potential maybe the new website will encourage me to explore a bit moe.:rolleyes:
    X Don

Catriona likes this.
  2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

This is already about thr 4th incarnation, so if you call this the original site many of us old-timers will tut and talk sadly of the youth of today knowing nothing of the old ways... ;)

Zou, miked, Craig20264 and 1 other person like this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed they will plug the existing forum into the new look AP site. That would be much easier than reinventing it, assuming there is an intention to keep its history.

4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I suspect the slowup the other day was the new owners moving this site to their own servers. I wonder when they will do the switch.

I notice that they are going to introduce a private sales forum.??? perhaps they have been looking at "T P"

5. PeteRob

I doubt they’d take on the overhead of running the site on their own servers. This is an activity far better outsourced.

6. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Will Fen be kept away from the Big Red Button?

7. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Ar, they were the days they were.

I hear that they have it isolated in a silver mesh cage, just in case...

Not that I'm a Mod nowadays, so have very little access to it.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Has that ever made a difference in the past? I am sure Nick can safety seal the cover with silver wire as an extra precaution.

ascu75 likes this.
  9. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Surely the most important people are the readers AND the forum members so why was ity not posted here BY the forum people ?

10. Stephen Rundle

How much will the new yearly membership be, will it be just for subscribers ?

11. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Yearly membership to the forum ?
    You mean someone's been charging you to be on here ?!
    They saw you coming , the rest of us are here for free ! :p

Stephen Rundle and ascu75 like this.
  12. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

FREE !!!! It cost me time and much hair pulling to come up with these stupid replies FREE indeed I could be doing something better than wasting my time on here :D:D:D
    My work here is done if you want me I will be in a darkened room :p

Stephen Rundle and neilt3 like this.
  13. Stephen Rundle

Fat controller said in another would we object to paying :) :)

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Not quite, he assumed that, because somebody commented on 24/7 service, said individual would be happy to pay for the service. Two us then replied that he would be paying for us too.

15. Stephen Rundle

Ah ok, thanks

16. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I can't remember what it used to look like. Now I'm using the bog standard white screen version, it will be interesting to see what I have to contend with in the future.

17. PeteRob

Just keep fingers crossed that they plug in the Forum as is and limit themselves to a rebrand of the styled pages which carry all the adverts.

Catriona likes this.
  18. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

And they've tested it on more than just phone browsers, plus the Apple and MS browsers...

19. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

As advertising pays for this site and forum, I personally am happy to see appropriate ads. I like the free-to-view internet, and would ban people who use ad-blockers!

20. PeteRob

I don't use an ad-blocker. I accept the ads on the AP site and I subscribe to AP. I just find the version of the forum with the ads unusable. The vanilla version is great even if basic.

Zou, ascu75, EightBitTony and 2 others like this.