1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

New £29.99 Jessops extension tubes [4 pics]

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by TH-Photos, Jan 3, 2008.

1. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

How have Jessops been able to offer these tubes at £29.99, £45 less than they used to be? Answer: They are now mostly plastic. My original set are all metal, the only metal on the new ones is the lens to tube mount and the pins to make the electrical connection between camera and lens. Another difference is that the exit apeture on the new ones is rectangular.

[​IMG]

Another couple of 'What is it' pictures of the same item, 50mm lens on 104mm extension.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And to work out the magnification:

[​IMG]

With 11mm of rule showing, this combination gives twice life size on the sensor.

2. Teddy

Teddy Well-Known Member

great pics Ted! At only £30, plastic or not, they look a great buy?

Plastic clothes peg?

3. KitW

KitW Active Member

Ted,

Which extension tubes are they? I've just looked on the Jessies website and can't see them!

Any other comments apart from too much plastic?

Thanks a lot.

4. TH-Photos

Spot on. These macros are too easy to guess, I'll have to find some harder ones.

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Kenko tubes are mostly plastic too and I haven't had a problem hanging about a kilo from them. For the money they sound great :cool:

Does the new shape hole in the tube make them EF-S compatible?

6. TH-Photos

I've just tried the link Bawbee gave me on Tuesday and it goes straight to the home page. They may now be sold out, there were none available on line, just for collect shop.

7. TH-Photos

Instead of one alignment mark they have two, one for EF and one for EF-S. The rear penetrates the same distance into the camera on both sets. For these shots the 'old' tubes with the round hole were nearest the camera and the 'new' ones next.

8. KitW

KitW Active Member

Cool, thanks a lot. Might have to take a wander to see if I can get some tomorrow...

9. KitW

KitW Active Member

Got some!! (one of the guys in Jessops told me they were 80 quid so I got him to check, phew!) Just playing around with them at the moment, thanks for the tip!!

10. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I have three extension tubes (Pentax) with auto levers for the aperture setting, so can be used in Aperture priority mode. I am going to experiment with them on my 100mm f2.8 Pentax macro lens, should get some pretty high magnifications with all three on! :)

i will post the results asap.