1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Nespresso, anyone?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Dec 31, 2017.

1. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Actually, I should have added that the containers would also be recyclable if made of aluminium.

I think this year is going to be one hell of an upheaval for plastics. China is no longer taking our plastics for recycling (or paper or anything else for that matter) and since the Blue Planet II series really highlighted what the crap is doing to the oceans, we are going to have to turn plastic use on it's head. Quite right as well - I took some stuff to the tidy tip (recycling plant) yesterday and had to tip all the plastic into a 'cannot be recycled' skip - even though I knew full well that some of it was pure ABS.

For Coffee, We have a Filter Machine which works really well, the only waste is the grounds themselves and recycled filter papers. We use an electric coffee grinder as a manual one would bugger my neck up.

LesleySM likes this.
  2. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Kenco or Tesco Latte sachets for me.

3. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Apparently you can reuse the grounds as snail repellent or a body scrub. There's a coffee cart outside my local station and they always have bags of grounds and a notice urging people to help themselves to them

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think that summarises the entire "barista experience" most eloquently.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I was once taught how to be a barista. Even at the time it seemed strange they were paying my day rate for me to make coffee! :confused:

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Nespresso are aluminium.

7. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I bought my wife a Russell Hobbs espresso machine a few months ago. I've not bothered with it but she likes it.

8. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

No thanks, on any of these devices. They are probably a really nice earner for the coffee suppliers and if some of this extra money does go to the coffee growers, I'm guessing the proportion that does, is less than the cut that the coffee brands take.

9. willie45

We use the grounds to repel snails too.

10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

An example of added value, giving you less product for a lot more cost.

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Does this work for slugs?

12. willie45

I believe so. In fact it might be slugs that I meant. I will come clean here and admit that Mrs Willie is the gardener in our house. I'm not very good at it. :oops:

13. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

What is a snail, if not a slug in a crash helmet?

Cheers, Jeff

Learning, Footloose and LesleySM like this.
  14. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Coffee grounds can be used to remove the smell of elephant urine from clothes.........so I've read.

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Added value is a retailers term. The equivalent consumers term is added cost.

16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

As a non-coffee drinker I'll just suggest that there may be some similarity between those coffee machines and cameras when it comes to buyers. I have now left the room. ;)

17. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

You have to admire the nature lover's close observation skills, but who without an old brass helmeted diving suit would stand under an elephant having a leak?

S

18. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Donald Trump if it was a cute one

19. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

My Nespresso machine isn't a replacement for instant (which I never drink because it barely tastes like coffee) or filter coffee (which I occasionally drink). It is instead a replacement of my old espresso machine. The pods are marginally more expensive, but much quicker, and very much more convenient to use.

I typically start the day with a couple of espressos, and have another in the evening after dinner. That used to be a whole lot of faff, now it's quicker and easier than boiling a kettle.

I really miss it when I'm at work, where I have to make do with a cafetiere. Again, washing away all the grounds after each use is annoying compared to the simplicity of the pod based solution at home.

Am I lazy? Probably. but they are the quickest and easiest way to get a decent cup of coffee.

Zou likes this.