1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need opinion..

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by BobYaxley, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: apertures and shutter speed- a rough guide!

Hi Bob,

A bit of flash would have helped the pic in some respects but I do kind of like
    it the way it is.............except for the soft focus thingy.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Jack

Life is a Photo-Op

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

how do film scanners work, what quality are they like and do they come out just like standard pictures?

Without getting overcomplicated a scanner (flatbed or dedicated film type) illumintes the slide/negative from behind. The scanning head, carrying at least 3 rows of photoreceptors (1 each for red, green and blue)is slowly and precisely driven alopng the slide or negative recording the strength of light falling on the receptors as it goes. This information is then processed and presented on the screen as the digital image.

Unless you apply the various sharpening colour correction etc. routines often supplied with the scanner software then some tweaking will be needed in PS or similar to generate a sharp image. NB using inbuilt routines in the scanner is NOT recommended as they are less subtle and sophisticated than proprietary imaging software (eg PS, Paint Shop Pro etc.).

Dedicated film scanners are generally better than flatbeds for film scanning as thats what they're designed for (flat beds like prints and documents better) but you can get perfectly good pictures out of them and with a bit of effort far better than the standard D&P offering.

This is a scanned image from a negative:

[​IMG]

3. BobYaxley

BobYaxley Member

okay with that in mind, what kind of resolution would i want to get?

i think the jessops film scanner is under £100 but is only 1800dpi

also does the 300v or F65 allow for that "2 shots on one negative" function at all?

4. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

Re: show off your talent!

also many modern cameras wont allow you to use infra red film as they fog the film.

<font color=blue>I'm built for comfort, I aint built for speed!</font color=blue>
    Howlin' Wolf

5. Larry Shone

1800 doesnt sound that bad, my agfa has a ppi of 1200.
    BTW, its ppi for scanners, dpi for printers
    dpi-dots per inch
    ppi, pixels per inch

<font color=blue>I'm built for comfort, I aint built for speed!</font color=blue>
    Howlin' Wolf

6. BobYaxley

BobYaxley Member

okey, well my local camera shop (err jessops) has 2 of the above mentioned camera's

eos 300 (no v) for £104 with 28-100
    F65 with lense for £122

both second hand, look to be in good condition - which is the better camera ? (feature wise)

If the glove fits i'd like to get it sooner rather than later...they both feel fine to me, i guess i have rather average size hands!

7. BobYaxley

BobYaxley Member

i think 1800(err ppi) comes out as 1-2mp though?

no good for prints..or?

8. Larry Shone

which is the best in terms of features. The 300 no doubt(A bit biased, I have one that I bought in 99!)
    Which is the best for you-depends on what you prefer, its a very personal thing, you need to hold it and take pics with it(even without film in).
    Find out if you like where all the buttons are and how easy they are. Must admit I fell in love the the 300 when I tried it out-perfect! But I never have tried a Nikon yet!
    I dont go with brands tho, (my previous camera was a minolta). To me theyre just tools, and you need to make sure you get the rigfht one for the job.

Dont be swayed by the sales gurus in Jessops either, remember they want you to buy their cameras cos they got paid for doing so!
    Take your time making your mind up, or just do what I did, say, yep I want that one-no complaints yet and Ive had it 5 years!

Howlin' Wolf

9. Larry Shone

1800 is maximum, not necessarily what it uses

its well adequate for prints. I made one recently that i scanned in, and it gave a file of 13MB from a 300ppi scan, and it looks fine blown up to 10x12 in a frame!
    [​IMG]

(This is a bit soft, its a lower res version)

Howlin' Wolf

10. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Be cautious with the F65, if it is Nikon your after have a look for a 2nd Hand F80. a far beter camera IMHO. One you can grow into and not grow out of.

Down side it cannot take IR film because of the IR sensor for film advance. Saying that I would not start with IR film untill you have done a lot of practice.

<font color=red>Salazar</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

11. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

For Sale by Phiggy

Have a look at what Phiggy of this parish has for Sale

[​IMG]

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

An 1800ppi scanner at 1800ppi will deliver scans roughly equivalent to a 4mp camera in size. The 35mm neg is approximately 1.5in x 0.9in giving a digital image of about 2700x1600 which is easily big enough for a decent A4 print.

Actual file size will be 12Mb plus dependent on subject (assuming minimal file compression).

Nigel CRIPN

Now I'm well and truly pixellated... /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

13. Larry Shone

Re: For Sale by Phiggy

Hey that looks a good deal! Could do far worse!

Howlin' Wolf

14. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Indeed, and it is from a Parishener.

No doubt His Holyness The Rev Big Will may have something to say about this in his Sermon. Nikonite reccomends Gasfire

[​IMG]

15. W1lko

W1lko Well-Known Member

Re: 1800 is maximum, not necessarily what it uses

The Epson 3170 photo perfection flatbed is about £140.
    Scans up to 3200ppi and also does an interpolated scan at 6400ppi (which is rather slow) Comes with negative holders for 35mm and 120 for scanning sevral negs at a time.

Wilko (4th reincarnation)

16. W1lko

W1lko Well-Known Member

I'd seriously consider that Bob.
    And who could be more trustworthy than our Phil

17. W1lko

W1lko Well-Known Member

I could flog you an F90X or an F5, Bob, both of them'll do IR /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

18. BobYaxley

BobYaxley Member

A little too expensive for my liking im afraid.

I've got my heart set on that eos 300 with 28-100 i saw in jessops for £102..

unfortunately i just realised that i wont be getting £100 of my budget till possibly the end of february :(

that leaves me with £200...i have a ps2 with 7 games, dvd controller, cheat disk usb to pc cable and memory card for sale...so i should be able to get around £110 for those...

sheesh. If i had a house i'd probably sell that :p

19. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

They say that but I didnt have a problem usng it in mine, its only ever on the actual advance holes (whatever theyre called), not on the frame...

[​IMG]<font color=purple>ermx</font color=purple>

20. Larry Shone

you wont get much for the PS2, its soon to be obsolete when the PS3 comes out! plus theres the new hand held jobby!

Howlin' Wolf