1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need opinion..

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by BobYaxley, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Re: Jessops best here

Have to agree here. Bob, do you go to a butchers to by your vegie. Of course you don't . But you are prepared to go and pay a lot of dosh by going to a store that realy do not know the first thing about photography. Personaly I would go to an indie store.

As you have still not told us which part of the neighbourhood your from, we can't relay guide you to an appripriate store.

<font color=red>Salazar</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

You mean exactly which part of the Isle of Wight?

Nick BSRIPN
    And why not?

3. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Still nothing in the Bio. So how am I to know

[​IMG]

4. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

There's a few dealers mentioned in The Big Book:

Island Photo Centre, in Newport or Ryde
    Julia Margaret Cameron Trust, in Freshwater (apparently, never been to IoW)

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

6. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Fair enough. But with this thread getting bigger by the mo, one does to forget small things. One of the reaons for filling in the Bio.

Come on Bob no offence ment, but the Bio does help.

[​IMG]

7. BobYaxley

BobYaxley Member

16 male from Ryde on the isle of wight.

Doing a 3rd level btec diploma course as an IT practitioner.

Err...i keep being in situations at the moment where i almost have to write it down so i can take a picture at a later time...like one of my friends dog's called Pip...who goes into mad mad jumping fits...very strange...

Although my dad has his two SLR's (that i've never been able to use) he still doesn't think that me buying one is a valid expenditure. I've been adamant that im getting one since err...i'd say about 5 months ago...

Lived on the island for something like 6 years, used to live in East Oakley near basingstoke (in hampshire)...

My parents rent out holiday cottages for a living, and we are currently renovating a barn as a view to live there in 2 - 3 years time. (they can be viewed at www.appleyfarmcottages.co.uk)

I hope this is what you meant, if you wanted anything else in particular please just say so.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Quite agree - just happened to read his post just before yours, Steve!

Nick BSRIPN
    And why not?

9. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Wellcome aboard. Now your not going to Dixons are you. Shame your Dad thinks the way he does.

[​IMG]

10. BobYaxley

BobYaxley Member

err not to buy, due to price issues i expect (if the 300v seems alright ergonomically) i will buy from the canon retailer on ebay...i don't mind that they are refurbished...even vat i think these go for £150 or so, thats alot cheaper than the £230 some others have listed...

Is there much chance that the price of this camera will be reduced in the january sales...or?

Thanks for all the help so far, though i must admit i find this kind of message board system a little...confusing, to say the least - i am so used to the invision/phpbb style board...

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Confusing? You should've seen it last week before it was fixed!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Nick BSRIPN
    And why not?

12. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

They fix'd it. /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif are you sure

[​IMG]

13. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

show off your talent!

pity you couldnt borrow one of your dads cameras, shoot some pics and show him what you can do!

<font color=blue>I'm built for comfort, I aint built for speed!</font color=blue>
    Howlin' Wolf

14. BobYaxley

BobYaxley Member

Re: show off your talent!

Don't know that i could do anything...

i did understand about aperture, iso speed etc etc but its slipped my mind, some of the information on the web is far too mathematical...as it gets closer to the time i will buy my camera, no doubt i will recap my memory..

plan for the next 2 weeks are...goto jessops and try out holding the 300v and the nikon F65/75...check what kind of prices i can get, both in my area, and online...if ebay still looking good then - i will place a bid on the camera of my choice...

still a lot i would like to know though.
    1. Are film scanners worth it?
    2. What kind of film would i use for everyday photography (bearing in mind i don't have the cash to go through a film an hour, so i will probably use 2 rolls a day when im using my camera)
    3. What exactly is the difference in the types of film, infrared ( i take it this film type is for extreme low light situations? ) negative and transparent.
    4. What other stuff will i need in everyday use?

15. Larry Shone

apertures and shutter speed- a rough guide!

Well, in simplistic terms both aperture and shutter speed control the amount of light falling onto the film. If you increase the aperture value(say f16 to f22 on the aperture control) then you must decrease the shutter speed value accordingly to get a balance(1/125 to 1/60). The bigger the f number the smaller the aperture and less light on the film.( a pin hole in a piece of paper has a very high f number)
    The faster the shutter speed the less light gets to the film.
    Its a trade off, a balance.

<font color=blue>I'm built for comfort, I aint built for speed!</font color=blue>
    Howlin' Wolf

16. BobYaxley

BobYaxley Member

Re: apertures and shutter speed- a rough guide!

err - heres a picture i took...i just added a softfocus in ps

[​IMG]

17. Larry Shone

not a bad group shot, but the brightness of the sky has told the meter in the camera, 'woa, its too bright, you need to stop the lens down a bit', which is great for the sky, but leaves the faces of the group a bit dark. This is a common occurence and no film is going to be able to record both equally.(you could of course open the aperture a stop for the group but the sky would go white)
    So what can you do? Well the way to get the balance is to use a bit of flash to light the group, which will leave the sky unaffected of course. But this needs complicated metering-fortunatley modern cameras are pretty good at this and even with an on board flash(practically all entry level cameras have these now) you can get a balanced result.

But photography is all subjective, and you may prefer it like this(its quite cool actually!)

Howlin' Wolf

18. BobYaxley

BobYaxley Member

err was taken with my digital camera, the one with the dodgy flash...

if the truth be told i probably did use fill flash, but nope...thats what it came out like.

must say i cant wait to actually get my hands on a nice piece of kit ^^!

19. Larry Shone

but do you get the principle of what I was saying?
    Our eyes can adjust for varying light levels(well, our brain does) but film is static(so is digital), wuith it, what you see is what you get. Take a photo of someone indoors standing in front of a bright window, and what do you get-a black portrait but lovely net curtains! If you open up the aperture or decrease the shutter speed to let more light in, you get a nicely exposed portrait and complete whiteness behind!

Applies with both film and digital.

Get a film camera, any cheap one will do as long as you can change aoperture and shutter speed, and run as much film as you can thru it,(use jessops, you get a free film each time) and experiment with such situations, its great fun and eventually you will get a pic that makes you go, 'hey, that looks cool, I'll have to rememeber that next time Im in that situation.'

Its immense fun!

Howlin' Wolf

20. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Re: show off your talent!

1. Are film scanners worth it?
    2. What kind of film would i use for everyday photography (bearing in mind i don't have the cash to go through a film an hour, so i will probably use 2 rolls a day when im using my camera)
    3. What exactly is the difference in the types of film, infrared ( i take it this film type is for extreme low light situations? ) negative and transparent.
    4. What other stuff will i need in everyday use?

1) Yes, but you may prefer to start with a flatbed with a film hood. They are good. Look at Epson.

2 3) Film , I would go for transparent look at Fuji range. Transparnet is a film which produces a slide which is best viewed through a projector. Also best for scaning.

Negative is the type of film that produces the printed photo

Infrared is not a film for low light. You are thinking of those images you see on crimewatch. Infrared film is a film which has a wider spectrum. Best used in very bright light to get that nice etherial look. Have a look at the work of Dr Clive Rowley of this Parish.

4) Filters, if using Monochrome (Black and White) get a Red Filter, for those shots across water or where reflections from windows interfer get a polorizer. Also keep a UV or Skylight filter on the lens to protect the front .

Cleaning kit. with a good cleaning cloth.

I could go on, but I will let others to add in stages so as not to info overload you.

[​IMG]