1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need opinion..

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by BobYaxley, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Ditto to Nick's post...apologies to Bob but I would most definitely still take the 300V or the 3000V.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Jack

Life is a Photo-Op

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Re: nikon or pentax best option.

They do, yes, about $175 US for most - though the M42 adapter is a lot cheaper IIRC.

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

If you want to go with Nikon then I strongly suggest you go for the F65 at the least (especially if you want a DOF button). I still advise you look at the used option as you can get a better model for the same cash.

Also note that Nikons such as the F55 and 65 (and I believe the F75 and 80 too) will not offer any metering whatsoever with manual focus Nikon lenses (except a couple of modern P -types). The irony is that if I bought a Nikon to EOS adapter I could use them on my EOS's and get aperture priority auto and manual metering. Crazy ain't it?!

Nigel CRIPN

Now I'm well and truly pixellated... /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

4. W1lko

W1lko Well-Known Member

Somehow David your last line makes no sense to me. Are we better going in blind?

Wilko (4th reincarnation)

5. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Wot use brail cameras. /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

<font color=red>Salazar</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

6. BobYaxley

BobYaxley Member

So would people agree that if i didnt want to buy a manual camera i should get a 300v?

Is ebay a good place to buy a camera or...? Anyone had any dealings with the canon ebay retailer that states its "official"?

i think i can get a new one for about £120 on ebay, be it refurbished or w/e...

what do you think?

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Before committing yourself to any decision I recommend trawling around your local dealers and get your hands on all the candidates. You can then assess how they feel in the hand and how well the controls feel laid out. This is entirely a subjective matter but you will find that if a camera feels right and natural in the hand you will be more inclined to use it and you will concentrate more on taking the picture and less on where the buttons are.

Keep a look out for multi lens deals too (usually body, 28-100 zoom 70-300 zoom) as these are often significantly cheaper than buying the items separately. Dixons are quite good at these (though otherwise they're generally worth avoiding for photo gear these days) as are many of the online/mail-order dealers such as Warehouse Express and Camera World.

Also grab yourself a copy of AP and take a gander at the various offers available.

HTH

Nigel CRIPN

8. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Before you part with the dosh. I suggest you actualy try it out at a shop. And try others as well. A camera should fit like a glove.

[​IMG]

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Nigel and Steve are absolutely right. That said, I've bought several times from the Canon eBay retailer, and not had the slightest problem (in fact I've got an i80 orinter on the way as we speak). The 300V is the best-featured camera discussed - but you MUST try out the handling before taking the plunge!

Nick BSRIPN
    And why not?

10. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Inflatable agreeing with the Sinister one. Anyone checked the room temp in Hell. /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

[​IMG]

11. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Brrr........it's bloody freezing down here, don't tell me Nick and Steve agree about something................../img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Nigel CRIPN

12. W1lko

W1lko Well-Known Member

Actually Mr Yaxley, or may I call you Bob.
    Be careful buying on Ebay ... it is after all the fraudster's paradise.
    At least if you buy from FFordes, he'll offer a warranty, and if there's anything wrong with it, he'll either exchange it or give you your money back no problem.

Wilko (4th reincarnation)

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

True, but the Canon retailer is safe as houses. Check the feedback for canon_uk1.

Nick BSRIPN
    And why not?

14. BobYaxley

BobYaxley Member

I'm cool with anything really, it will be my first SLR - i have a 4mp digital camera, but its ... lacking.

the flash is quite rediculous...its just horrible to use in the dark....

My birthday is in mid february (a day before v-tines day ;) and i could quite easily have £600 by then...do you think buying a digital SLR right from the off would be a bit...well...overkill?

I'd like to have some actual prints aswell heh!

oh another thing i need to ask - how do film scanners work, what quality are they like and do they come out just like standard pictures?

15. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

hands on best option

I would DEFINITELY go to a shop and try one out see how it feels, first. Its important to get a feel for it to know what it is you need and what size/weight your happiest with.(This is as important as technical features, if not more so!)

Ebay can be good, but it can be bad(Ive had 2 good cameras from there, and one duff)

<font color=blue>I'm built for comfort, I aint built for speed!</font color=blue>
    Howlin' Wolf

16. BobYaxley

BobYaxley Member

Re: hands on best option

sorted, in that case i'll goto dixons tomorrow and check. though i bet they are getting a lil peeved with me going in an out of there (probably think im looking to steal something :\)

..that and jessops, they are right next to each other (i live on the isle of wight)

hehe

17. Larry Shone

Jessops best here

I'd use Jessops myself,Dixons is a general store and in my experience tend not to know that much about cameras. Jessops hire people on the basis they do know about cameras(I know, have had an interview there)

<font color=blue>I'm built for comfort, I aint built for speed!</font color=blue>
    Howlin' Wolf

18. Larry Shone

Thanks Tim.
    Whats IIRC.??

Howlin' Wolf

19. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]

20. Larry Shone

OIC!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Howlin' Wolf