1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need opinion..

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by BobYaxley, Dec 14, 2004.

1. BobYaxley

BobYaxley Member

Hello there, it's a cliche i know but i've a couple of questions. Mostly my camera choice will depend on price. As a 16 year old, I only have a budget of around £300 - I want a camera that will be capable of taking macro shots, photo's of my friends, photo's of concerts but not exclusively these things..

I've read and seen the prices for a couple of camera sets, and would like to ask which camera would produce more bang for the buck...

Canon EOS 3000V 28-90mm NON USM LENS = around £150
    KONICA MINOLTA DYNAX 40 28-100mm f/3.5-5.6 D LENS = around £120
    KONICA MINOLTA DYNAX 4 28-100mm LENS = £169.90
    CANON E0S3000N 28-80mm Canon lens = £99
    NIKON F55 28-80mm Nikon Lens = £180

If i would need additional lenses please state price etc...my £300 budget also has to include any extra's that i would need (anyone help out on what else i would need)?

It'll be my first SLR but i really dont want a manual, af manual would be nice, but i'll settle for just AF...

The camera needs an inbuilt flash, and in cases where they are notoriously bad, please state what flash would be good to use with it....

I don't think ive left anything out, if you would like more information please just say so, i'll check back this thread 2 times a day.

Thanks in advance!

2. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Firstly welcome to the madhouse Bob.

May I suggest that we have a tad more info in your Bio. We do like to know who we are talking to.

Now about your choices.

As your starting out, may I suggest that look you towards a manual system. Perhaps look towards a 2nd hand model.

Why you might say. Well, that way you will learn a lot more on how to judge exposure, DoF etc.

Next , I will not recommend a partucular manufactuer. I would suggest that you get to a camera shop, if possible a local indie shop to get to feel each of your choices. As you will read elsewhere in this madhouse, there are no bad manufactuers in regard to those choices you have listed, nor amongst the manual jobs which once again I would recommend you look at.

<font color=red>Salazar</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

3. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Morning Bob,

Go for the 300V kit and try dig up a new/used EF 50/1.8 which will be better shooting the concerts, especially, under low light conditions.

Hope this helps and welcome the forums from a land far away.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Jack

Life is a Photo-Op

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes, personally, I would go the 300V route as I'm pretty sure it's the only one with depth of field preview, and I don't believe you can override the ISO setting on the Nikon. But the best thing to do is try them all out and see which one feels the best - there's no real performance differences between them, I think, but the handling is quite different. And I would agree about the 50mm f1.8.

Nick BSRIPN
    And why not?

5. BobYaxley

BobYaxley Member

Is the 300v and 3000v the same thing?

Also is there much difference between the 3000n and the 3000v?

Kinda had my heart set on the F55 as thats what i'd read the best reviews for, but the DOF preview feature does seem a definite advantage....

What other details did you need sala?

6. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Regarding concerts - I'm not sure about the 50 1.8.
    It is the best choice regarding the aperture, however it depends how close you will be to the stage, so Im wondering if you are going to be doing big venues or small ones and if you are going to be right next to the stage or not. The aperture is not so much of a problem anyway if you are using a flash, which I think you said you were (sorry im replying at the bottom of this thread). You may actually be better with a zoom at a smaller aperture. I know the quality is not as ideal but you have a much wider range of opportunities.
    In fact if your budget is £300 you could probably get a cheap s/h 28-80 or 80-200 as well.

[​IMG]<font color=purple>ermx</font color=purple>

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Is the 300v and 3000v the same thing?
    Not at all, the 3000v is a rather simpler beast with less control than the 300v, it's almost a point 'n' shoot SLR as it's mostly automatic everything.

Also is there much difference between the 3000n and the 3000v?
    The newer model (3000v IIRC) probably offers better control and a few extra features.

Generally with Canon the fewer digits there are in the model number the better featured it is. For more info on Canons, new and old, look in the <a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/f_camera.html" target="_new">Canon Camera Museum<A>.

Kinda had my heart set on the F55 as thats what i'd read the best reviews for, but the DOF preview feature does seem a definite advantage....
    You could look for a good used F65 or even better a used F80 (though that might stretch the budget a bit) for even more options

I'd recommend considering used kit as you have a good chance of getting far more camera for your cash. Take a look at <a href="https://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm" target="_new">Ffordes<A> for price guidance, they also have a good reputation for square dealing.

HTH

Nigel CRIPN

Now I'm well and truly pixellated... /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

8. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

9. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

That link doesn't work

...and anyway, its impossible to link to anything other than the Ffordes home page. /img/wwwthreads/frown.gif

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]

10. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

I'd recommend Ffordes most highly for S/H equipment - have a look down their S/H list at www.ffordes.co.uk you can get an F55, F65 or a 300V with a couple of lenses and still have change from £300
    Like Sinister (Salazar), I won't particularly recommend a manufacturer either, but
    I would miss being able to override the ISO setting (more important for me if using B&W or IR - I don't normally push colour film - my local processors look at me as if I'm from outer space if I tell them a film has been pushed 2 stops)
    DOF preview well, I hardly ever use it, and could probably manage without, but it is useful if you're doing macro. At small apertures the viewfinder does darken quite a bit and sometimes it can be hard to tell the DOF anyway.
    I'd certainly recommend getting the 50/1.8 too. The Canon or Nikon are superb and probably the sharpest, fastest and best quality lenses you'll be using for a while.
    As for bio, well... tell us where you're from, what you like doing, what you're photographic experience is (if it's nil, then say nil, we don't care) and what you like to photograph ...... it's always that little bit easier to reply to someone when you have just a shred of info to form some kind of a mental picture

Graham NRIPN

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Indeed - my error - read 300V instead of 3000V.

Nick BSRIPN
    And why not?

12. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

nikon or pentax best option.

If i were starting out, knowing what i know, i would get a nikon or a pentax. The reason? The lenses! Not the quality so much as the quantity, these cameras can take a lot more lenses than the other makes due to the way they are configured for metering and focusing. Canons lenses are great but you buy an EOS and you can only use EOS lenses(plus the independants like Vivitar etc), you wont be able to use the older Canon lenses, totally different mount. Same with minolta. But with nikon and pentax theres a lot more lenses out there that you can use, which is great if youre on a buddget!

<font color=blue>I'm built for comfort, I aint built for speed!</font color=blue>
    Howlin' Wolf

13. BobYaxley

BobYaxley Member

Re: nikon or pentax best option.

So the F55 would be a valid choice?

If so, what kind of other things would i need? a case? what kind of film for everyday use?

14. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Hang on a mo. Don't run away with the idea that you can simply fit any old lens on these cameras and it will work just like a new one. Older lenses might fit but you may get severely reduced functionality like no matrix metering (if the camera has it), stop-down only metering, no autofocus with a manual lens etc. It also means that the lens you are buying is probably quite old and is a riskier buy.

Old lenses work best on the old cameras they were designed to work with. If you are fully conversant with how modern cameras and old lenses interact you can end up wasting your money.

David

15. Larry Shone

Well, the 55 is a basic cheap nikon, but for me its lacking in that it doesnt have a depth of field preview buttton plus a few basic essentials(for me at least)
    It depends on what type of photography you want to do I suppose.
    Others will tell yuo its a crap camera, not really a nikon etc, but I dont know. To me a camera is a camera is a camera. It all depends on wat you want to do with it. I'd say it was perfectly capable of taking good pics, but its build quality may be an issue, plus its very small(not a help if you have big hands) and if you wear glasses Im not sure if it has good eye relief.
    I personally would forget the new stuff, and go for a secondhand nikon/pentax, one with a bit of weight and not so plasticky. You get a brand new camera and tend to be a bit precious with it.
    I have 2 cameras, a Canon EOS 300(mostly used in manual nowadays!) and a beat up old cosina with a pentax mount that is all manual and a treat to use.
    The canon has all the bells and whistles I might want but the cosina feels more like a 'real' camera.
    Go out and try some out, see how they feel, and if possible run a film thru it first,especially with a secondhand camera!

Hope this helps!
    ~Larry~

<font color=blue>I'm built for comfort, I aint built for speed!</font color=blue>
    Howlin' Wolf

16. Larry Shone

Arent Nikons/pentaxes backwards compatible tho?
    Plus a beginner might not want matrix metering ,he/she might want to learn how to meter a subject, would certainly benefit from it if serious.

Howlin' Wolf

17. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

That's a very dodgy statement there Larry. In fact, because Canon EOS bodies have a slightly shorter flange to film plane distance than most of their rivals, it is quite possible to fit many other makes/mounts with adapters - eg, M42, Contax/Yashica, Nikon, Leica R etc. Canon FD lenses are one of the few incompatible types out there! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]

18. Larry Shone

yes but at a cost! You cant pick them up off the shelf and fit them, you need an adaptor and you then lose your metering and focusing. Best option to go for a manual camera I think.

Howlin' Wolf

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No, you don't lose the metering with the EOS adaptors - and you don't lose AF if you never had it on the lens in the first place!

Nick BSRIPN
    And why not?

20. Larry Shone

very cool, but I bet they cost a bit tho!

Howlin' Wolf