1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Nagel 28

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by steveandthedogs, Aug 22, 2021.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Anyone know anything about these?

All I can find is made 1928-34.

And a bit about Nagel/Kodak history, but nothing else about the camera.

S

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

3. steveandthedogs

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

New one on me, I'm afraid!

5. steveandthedogs

Now I don't believe that!

S

6. gray1720

It's quite true - my knowledge of Nagel is limited to the Pupille, the 35mm cartridge, and the Kodak buyout of the Retina and everything else.

Looking at gurgle, the 28 may have been sold with a name as well as the number (not going to google now as I am at work), beyond that...

7. steveandthedogs

At last a pic or two.

Nagel.jpg Nagel28.jpg Nagel-28.jpg

Looks much like any other plate camera of the period, but it's in very good condition. Shame they are such a pain to use.

S

zx9r likes this.
  8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Anca, I believe: https://www.collection-appareils.fr/x/html/camera-20719-Nagel_Nagel 28 .html

Camera Wiki says: "From 1928-1930 the cameras only carried their respective Nagel No., starting from 1930 the respective Name (Anca, Recomar, Fornidar) was added."

9. steveandthedogs

Thanks Nick.

It hasn't got anything other than Nagel and 28 on the outside., with Kodak AG on a plate.

However, it has a Xenar lens and Compur 4.5 shutter. the Anca seems to have only had Nagel lenses.

Suppose someone could have swapped things around though.

S

10. gray1720

Wow, what a cutie! And in very good nick for its age too. Nick has found a better set of info than I did.

If there is any justice in the world it would be valuable.

ETA - looking at old catalogues, the choices of lens and shutter on different models are just nuts, no standardization at all. I think if it could be made to fit, you could order it. The Xenar is a really nice lens, later ones were 5-element, dunno about one this age (from some of my 1930s cameras, I think the lens and shutter are contemporary), and that Compur has a lot of speeds, someone paid a lot for that camera new!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    steveandthedogs likes this.
  11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Everything I've read about Nagel says that pretty much all of their cameras could come with more or less any lens.

Given that Nagel only operated as an independent company from 1928 to 1931, and they only started putting the names on in 1930, the lack of name on yours doesn't surprise me. ;)

The only cameras I have from them are a lovely Retina II, and a much later Retina Reflex IV, but I've always been impressed by the engineering. Yours looks like a lovely camera. :)

12. gray1720

I have an art-deco Kodak 6-20 made at the Nagel factory - bought in Canada second-hand by an airman training to fly bombers, I've occasionally wondered if he ever bombed the Nagelwerke... Off the top of my head, I think that's got a considerably nicer shutter and lens than standard too.

13. steveandthedogs

Only provisionally mine.
    I'm trying to persuade the neighbour's daughter she ought to sell it rather than give it away to some old fart.

S