1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N90/N90s

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Jelico, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Jelico

Jelico New Member

I worked for a newspaper for several years using n90 & n90s. I put the cameras away for a year when I left the paper. I recently got the cameras out and discovered the rubberized coating on back of each camera had turned into a sticky, jellied goo. I suppose due to the oil in my skin time in storage. Has anyone else experienced this and how do you remove it. I've tried alcohol, mineral spirits, etc.

2. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Althougj you have not filled in your bio, I guess given the Nikon type you quote you live in North America.

Perhaps a call to Nikon US may help

<font color=red>Salazar the Sinister</font color=red>

3. Mark_Norton

Mark_Norton Well-Known Member

I had exactly the same with a Sony video camera. It's possible the environment I stored it in was the problem - PVC is not good stuff in a confined environment, for example. What you're seeing is chemical changes and your only option is to have it replaced. Whether that's worth doing given the plummeting values of film cameras is another matter. I'd get a quote from Nikon, figure in the shipping cost and then look on ebay.

If it's just on the back of the camera, you could probably buy a new back since they detach.

Mark

Nikon D100 Leica M6 Leica Digilux 2 Sony DSC-W12