1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

My PENTAX K 5 ii

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by cathidaw, Dec 22, 2013.

1. cathidaw

cathidaw Well-Known Member

Sadly, after all my hype about my lovely new Pentax 5 ii We have to part,I find it too heavy to carry around. Back to my Canon until I swap it for a lighter model.
    I think it's even heavier than my ancient Zenit B film camera.--must weigh it.
    Got carried away with the idea of owning another Pentax.

2. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

3. pentaxbuddy

pentaxbuddy Member

I fully sympathise about the weight. I may have to do the same myself in the future. the K3 is completely out for that reason much as I want one. CSC's may not have fully taken off in the UK yet but they will, I think, once EVF's generally have a lot more dots. How about a WR K3 CSC model but with K5ii lowlight capabilities and lower high ISO noise levels with a c3 million dot EVF weighing less than 500 grms (preferably 454 grms / 1Lb) with card and battery.

Why not try a K50 body. Not quite as light as the Canon. Have a look at reviews on the net and compare weights of all three cameras. Try http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/ for a god price. Ricoh (Pentax) currently have price backs on body only and kits although the site is not the easiest to get at. Perhaps someone can post the address please.

4. cathidaw

Yes Pete I used to do that with my film cameras,everything but the sink, but now I think of my back, which all photographers should do--I was a nurse and often came across 'photographer back strain', nearly always men.BUT THEY NEVER LEARNED.
    and also I'm looking after my very new ankle joint.
    Is it necessary to take that lot with you?

5. cathidaw

Thanks .I usually go to London Camera Exchange for a decent 'swap'
    but I shall take the advice given. Mostly that's why I take A.P.

6. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Hi Cath -- well, I lugged the first body and three lenses all the way by air to KENYA in 1984 with the Pentax Club of Great Britain trip hoping to get some 6x7 transparencies for my Agency but they didn't get any sales and then the agency went bust and was taken over and TopFoto ,now have sent back ALL my 'Hard Copy' slides as they want only 'Digital' files from Full-Frame Digital cameras -- so all that 'back-braking effort' was wasted !

7. cathidaw

Forgive my ignorance but would they notice if the pics were digitized. I have had some of my best slides put on c ds or sticks.Or do they want blood-erhem-evidence?.

8. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

In the instructions they sent me you have to 'input' lots of 'keywords' into the EXIF data and there is no EXIF data with FILM scans and also I believe they do not think a film scan will be as good - anyway, I am too old now to worry about it ! Just get on with my 'Old Free Cameras' and outdated fillum and just use my Pentax K10D for a little 'work' ( local Press photography).

9. cathidaw

thanks Pete E
    I sometimes use my converted to digital slides for illustration so they don't have to be too technical--i'M NOT.
    I collected cameras for years-ended up with 477,including one each of every Kodak instamatic made,and many lovely old ones which were works of art I had them for birthdays as well.It got ridiculous, they took up too much room so they went to auction, which more than paid for my first digital SLR. I was sad but we have to move on. I l kept the zenit b-without a meter, the Vivitar
    rangefinder, and the folding Zeiss Ikon. I occasionally use them all. I go to shows and drool over the old ones, with their remarkable intricacy but only look.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013