1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

My Panasonic stopped working.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by Learning, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I am not sure if this should be in the Lounge or here.
    My Panasonic microwave stopped working. Even the clock and lamp were dead. I checked that the mains socket was OK. I checked that the fuse in the plug was OK. I opened it up and checked a ceramic 10A fuse. It had blown. I didn't have a 10A surge resistant one and a quarter inch fuse so substituted it with a 5A one and a quarter inch surge resistant fuse.which I did have. The clock and lamp then worked. More surprisingly the microwave worked as well. The 5A fuse held up. It won't last long so have ordered a pack of replacement 10 A fuses from Amazon at the huge cost of £2.90 inc VAT and postage. I am hoping that my microwave continues to work until I can replace the 5A fuse with the higher correct value. I won't use the 'combination' features until after then.

Catriona likes this.
  2. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Are you asking a question ?

3. Learning

No. I have not used any question marks.
    I am merely writing that the equipment failed and that I have got it going with restricted functionality. The information might be useful to someone who remembers it when their own microwave fails for a trivial reason. These time delay, or surge resistant, fuses do sometimes fail after prolonged use even if there is no equipment fault.
    I stated my uncertainty about here or the Lounge as an indication that I would not be 'miffed' if the mods moved it.

4. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Just wondered as a Photo forum :confused: ;)

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Panasonic make cameras too.....

6. Learning

Yes, however this is a Panasonic thread. It is not necessarily about Panasonic cameras.
    I do have a very good small Panasonic lens which works well on a rather poor Olympus camera. I feel allowed to post here:).
    Now back to my microwave. It worked with my substitute five amp fuse for several days. The fuse is in the mains voltage part of the power supply. Even in steady working conditions my 5A fuse must have been working under stress since magnetrons typically are only about 65% efficiency and the 800W magnetron must have been drawing over 5A from the mains. At start up, while charging the about 5kV capacitor, somewhat higher currents would be drawn. Fortunately my new 10 Amp anti surge fuses arrived the same day that the 5A fuse gave up. The machine has worked perfectly for several days even using all methods of heating simultaneously, I am very satisfied with my Panasonic machine.
    Sadly in this mollycoddled age I feel that I should add a safety warning. The magnetron in a microwave runs at over 5000 Volts. In order to provide this emf at a steady voltage a large capacitor is used in the power supply. When the machine is switched off or fails there may well be over 4000V PD on the terminals of that capacitor. There is enough charge to kill you. Be Careful where you poke about.
    I still recommend Panasonic microwave ovens but suggest that after about 15 years you keep in stock 10A 1.25 inch surge resistant fuses.

7. IvorETower

Panasonic chat; "The place to talk about all camera related Panasonic gear." A bit of a loose connection with microwave ovens, however ......... I am glad that you have managed to fix your oven.

8. Learning

Thanks Chris. I did originally post somewhat tongue in cheek.

9. IvorETower

I'm beginning to wonder..... my parents had a "decent" Panasonic microwave but it packed up when it was only a few years old. They were somewhat disappointed, shall we say.
    They went out and bought a cheap "own-brand" microwave, something like a Proline (was that Comet's own brand?) which has outlived my dad and which my mum is still very pleased with.

Sometimes you get more that what you pay for........