1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

My Optimism Was Misplaced

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LesleySM, Mar 30, 2020.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Running low on that here luckily I have a big sack of dry and the pair of them are not fussy they do have their favourites obviously but they eat what's put down for them. A friend whose cat only eats Whiskas is having problems. i am just worried it may come down to Felix, they eat it but for some reason it upsets Bonnie's digestion to put it mildly still I have a 20kg sack of cat litter if needed

ascu75 likes this.
  2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Just image if your cats were babies or toddlers . . .
    I really sympathise with parents currently 'self isolating' 24 hours a day with young children.

ascu75 likes this.
  3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Try teenagers

ascu75 likes this.
  4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Nah, summary imprisonment is more appropriate.

Petrochemist likes this.
  5. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Ain’t that the truth!

We are locked away with a six and ten year old. Both have lively enquiring minds and both are expected (by their school) to be doing work. The school has ‘indicated’ what the work should be. They have not set specific tasks.

we are finding it very tough indeed to find appropriate work. One website (recommended by the school) claims to teach maths through games but learning how to play the game is harder than the maths it purports to teach. As I’m supposed to be avoiding the boys (one had a cough) it’s hard to teach them from 2m away!

Our isolation should end in a couple of days so things should get easier and I have some educational ideas for the garden.

MickLL

PS I asked the six year old to write a story about Corona Virus. His output was amazing and quite made me quite emotional. I’d like to share it but can’t/won’t for obvious reasons.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Catriona likes this.
  6. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    ascu75 likes this.
  7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

A very good way to learn a subject thoroughly is to teach it. Is there any chance of getting the ten year old to teach the six year old.
    https://www.opencolleges.edu.au/informed/features/peer-teaching/

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I taught my brother to read, he was 2 and I was 6

Learning likes this.
  9. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I suggested babies or toddlers because, like cats, it must be impossible to explain the problem to them (at least teenagers should be capable of understanding the problem). I've tried to imagine how I would have coped as a teenager if I had been forced to live with my parents 24 hours a day for weeks or months, but the idea fills me with dread even when viewed from the viewpoint of a relatively mature retired person. I don't understand why the news isn't full of stories about the police dealing with 'domestics' in family homes all over the country: perhaps prolonged use of daytime TV and Facebook are having an anaesthetic effect.

ascu75 likes this.
  10. Learning

Qui docet, discit

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Teenagers may well be capable of understanding the problem, but it's so unfair!!

spinno and LesleySM like this.
  12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

No, just English:rolleyes:;)

ascu75 and John Farrell like this.
  13. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

He’s been doing that to some extent. It’s helpful because things are taught differently these days and I’m almost 70 years out of date.
    As an aside I just had a conversation with him (the older one) to be told ,” come any nearer and I’ll give you a hug”. Couldn’t help laughing.
    MickLL

Geren and Learning like this.
  14. Learning

I know that I shouldn't like that, and know it is sad, but at the same time think that there is a young person who has some knowledge of what is going on.

15. Learning

Did you do the Latin bit when you were post 13 and he was 9?

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

No, by then I didn't want him to be smarter than me;)

17. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

18. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I always think of the film sleepwalkers when cats come up in conversation.

19. Learning

20. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Haven't you been watching the Tele ?

YOU CAN'T LEAVE THE HOUSE !!!!!!