1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new XT1

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Brian, Dec 12, 2015.

1. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Hi Brian. I have never owned a Leica but I do know what you mean about the primes and the Fuji. I found myself yearning for a wider optic on a recent trip abroad and the 10-24 seemed the only way of getting a really wide perspective.

I suspect I then told myself that if I sold the 14mm it would nicely take some of the sting out of the expense. I know that I if I actually did that I'd end up regretting it though.

Re the zoom. I haven't had much chance to give it a run but starting tomorrow I'm off to try it out. From firing a few quick shots it feels surprisingly good on the XT-1.

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Willie,

Glad to hear you're going for it :) and, regarding the 14/2.8, my advice would be that if, after a good period of time, you find yourself not using and you find yourself pining for another piece of kit, three words, "trade in fodder" ;).

Looking forward to seeing some pics from it :)

Cheers,

Jack

3. willie45

Thanks, Jack.

I'm almost frightened to ask this question but did any of your colleagues have a preference for RAW convertors? There's been lot of moaning about how Lightroom works with Fuji, but I use them together fairly happily.

I tried Iridient Developer but found that although the details were "better" than with LR the colours weren't. For my stuff it didn't seem worth the hassle of learning a new piece of software.

Capture One looks great but at £240 is unlikely to find it's way onto my computer :)

4. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Have to disagree with you on that one Jack. The 14mm is a superb lens and just suits the XT1 .

As I have said before I consider the Fuji as a Leica replacement, as such it is ideal for a my rather narrow range of photographic interests. Of course with numerous, mostly unwieldy add on bits and pieces the Leica M can tackle most things, but ideal it ain't. Any lenses outside the 28mm to 90mm range and the M starts to get iffy. Documentary/ reportage/ street photography is it's forte. In regards to this I consider the Fuji far superior with a wide range of subjects, just as versatile as a SLR , but not for me, don't need it. So yes, zoom lenses are perfectly practical, just me being a bit silly, don't like them. Actually on the Ms I sometimes did use a Tri-Elmar for convenience, but that's another matter, three primes in one.

One huge advantage with the Fuji is size, I gave up photography because I wasn't willing to become a Sherpa, the Fuji brought me back .If it wasn't that the Fuji lenses are so good I would be looking for M adaptors.But for my limited range of photographic interest the Fuji with eyed it.14,23 and 56mm replaces my old Leica with 28,50 and 90mm.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  5. Done_rundleCams

Hi Willie,

My mate, who traded the 14 for the 10-24 has, in the last few months, gotten the Iridient RAW convertor and loves it, FWIW :) Also, just asked my co-workers in the shop what there preferences are, and two of them use "Lightroom" and the one fellow is still using "Apple's Aperture", but, he (and the rest, I think) said that they first choice, money notwithstanding, would be "Capture One" ;)

Cheers,

Jack

6. Done_rundleCams

Hi Brian,

I don't disagree, in the least, that the Fuji 14/2.8 is an absolutely superb lens :) and, in some cases, myself, who was a prime lens fanatic, found the zooms more convenient and, in my case, just as optically good :)

Cheers,

Jack

7. willie45

Hi Jack

Iridient gets really good reviews so I gave it a very quick whirl. The details at default are certainly very good. I had some reservations about the colour though I haven't gone into it in much more depth.

Really, my LR images don't seem too bad and particularly since I found this

http://petebridgwood.com/wp/2014/10/x-trans-sharpening/

and have started off with the settings he recommends for sharpening which has been very helpful. I wouldn't have thought of jamming the detail up anything like he suggests but it seems to help with the x - trans files.

8. Done_rundleCams

edited :)

9. Done_rundleCams

Hi Willie,

Not being a Fuji nor a RAW shooter nor having Lightroom :eek: , it was a little interest to me ;) but, it sounds like you're liking it and I have send the link to my mate with the XT-1 and stuff and, if he isn't already aware of it, I'm sure, he's really going to appreciate it :)

Cheers,

Jack

10. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Brian, I'm glad for you, but what happened to your Panasonic? You were getting great pictures from that. Cheers, Oly

11. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

The Panasonic is a great camera with one major exception. The EVF is bad, no, in fact it's disgusting. Using the rear screen ends up with admiring one's own reflection. It also always felt like a toy, it wasn't but that's how I felt about it. The Fuji has a very acceptable EVF, it's big, in fact larger then several full frame DSLRs. The viewfinder a la SLR is what you see is what you get. Manual focus is a delight, auto with the F1.2 is spot on.The build quality is right up there with the best, although the aperture control ring is a bit weak.

The lenses are as good or better then any I have used in the past. A small caveat would be I have never used any of the current Leica lenses, in fact none made after about 2005.

The Leica digital M is the only camera I would compare it with. Of the two , because of it's viewfinder I would rate the Fuji as the better when it comes to " photographic" tools. Yes the Leica finder is clearer if you disregard the clutter of frames and rangefinder patches, and the limitations re accommodating different focal lengths.

Now if only it had a film wind on lever it would be perfect.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015