1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new XT1

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Brian, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I'm really am enjoying using a " proper" camera again. The 14mm lens s great.

[​IMG]

Photo Bucket seems to suck all the sparkle out but never mind.

2. miked

miked Well-Known Member

My suggestion, Brian - is to use a Champagne Bucket for sparkle. However, I am slightly green with envy, for not only have you an XT but with a 14mm bolted on. I'll have to be content with my XPro1 and the 60mm and 23mm for now but a 14mm is on my Santa list. You are clearly having some fun - and, indeed, why not, for at our age heavy smoking, drinking and fornicating are but fogged-up images in far-off memory.

3. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

The 14mm is a cracking lens. Santa is hiding a 56mm f1.2 in her cupboard. Your 23mm is on the must have list. Thinking also about a 35mm f1.4. I have the 18-55mm zoom, really good but I am not a fan of zooms so might part exchange it. Got to ask about the cash back and if it' applicable if a part ex is involved.

Re your last, don't jump to conclusions.:rolleyes:

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Congrats, Brian :) and, if you're like most folks who have (or have used) the 56/1.2, you shan't be disappointed :D Had one fellow, who was shooting for an event, who rented it, on my urging, along with a Fuji flash (not at my urging) and came back to say he loved the lens and did not require the flash ;)

Cheers and good shooting :)

Jack

5. Done_rundleCams

Hi Mike,

A mate of mine had the 14/2.8 and traded it for the 10-24/4 and really enjoys the convenience and, with the stabilisation, doesn't miss the speed of the 2.8 :)

Cheers,

Jack

6. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Before Santa demanded it was wrapped up for Xmas I had a play. And yes Jack, it is a truly remarkable lens. Indeed the whole Fuji X range has me grinning from ear to ear. At last, an affordable replacement for my beloved Leicas.:)

7. Done_rundleCams

Glad to hear that, Brian, and, at the shop where I work, all of the "other" employees have given up their FF Canons and a lot of their Leica kit, for the Fuji X series cameras and lenses ;) As well, at another shop, one of the fellows made two 20x30 prints of the identical scene using a D800 w/a 35/1.4 and an XT-1 w/a 23/1.4 and the same ISO and exposure settings and the only way to tell the difference was to flip the print over to check which camera/lens did which print :eek: …. :)

Cheers and good shooting :D

Jack

8. miked

miked Well-Known Member

That was interesting to hear, Jack. I've a D800 but don't have a 35mm 1.4 lens else I'd have tried a similar experiment with my XPro1, but really I already know the image quality of the Fuji lenses is, for the cost, simply wonderful as is the build quality.

9. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

'Is for the cost' . I actually think that irrespective of cost would be closer to the truth. Before Santa impounded mine I had the chance of comparing it with the Leitz, whoops, it's an age thing. With a Leica 50mm Summilux. At f1.4 center and edge definition were neck and neck. Perhaps the out of focus highlights were a bit smoother on the Summilux. Now whether that's worth paying about 3/4 times more is questionable. But I wish the Fuji was as small. We both reckoned it was also a bit of a draw on build quality, apart from the Fuji aperture ring click stops being a bit weak.

The auto focus on the Fuji was also far superior. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We also tried the Fuji 35mm f1.4 against a 50mm Summilux, no brainier, the Fuji was in a different league, far better. Although it must be admitted the Summilux was an old model.

Caveat. All test were definately of a non scientific nature, merely pixel peeping on a decent monitor.

10. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I have the Fuji XT-1 too After a trip to NYC where she was lugging her DSLR and I was travelling light with the Fuji and 18-55mm, I've just got her an XT-10 with 18-55mm for Christmas :eek:

I have the 14mm lens but have recently thought about selling it and getting the 10-24. I also have the 35mm 1.4 and I love it.

It took me a bit to get used to the fuji after Canon DSLRs and I won't be selling the Canon stuff yet but fuji is an absolute delight to use. I enjoy using it so much more. I've said on here before but it's the first camera I've felt as pleased with since my Olympus OM-1 :)

11. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

v
    The 10-24mm, could be a good move for you. Not for me, I really love the idea of the fast lenses, so next on the list is the 23mm. Your ref to the Olympus I understand. The XT1 is the replacement for fifty odd years of Leicas. Hence I think in terms of primes rather then zooms,although I was quite attached to my Tri-Elmar.

12. Done_rundleCams

Hi Mike,

I, honestly, don't know how an XPro1, sensor/image, afterwards wise, would compare to the D800, as opposed to the newer XT-1. However, if I had to hazard a guess, I don't believe the difference betwixt the D800 and the XPro1 would be terribly different. Also, something I should have mentioned about the comparison -- D800 and XT-1 -- is that the fellow who did the comparison is a notorious pixel peeper who will go through the entire "shutter speed/aperture" combinations :eek: which would, personally, irk me, but, when it came to a conclusion, I'd be glad he is ;)

Cheers,

Jack

13. Done_rundleCams

Hi Willie,

Good to hear that you opted for the "18-55" lens for the XT-10, as opposed to the "16-50" lens :) As for the 14 versus the 10-24, now that my mate has had the 10-24 for a few months and is extremely pleased with it. As well, he and his missus are currently on a Christmas trip to California, with a hopeful side trip to the Grand Canyon, I'm sure that the 10-24 will get a lot of use and looking forward to seeing the pics and his thoughts, on everything :)

Re: Olympus OM-1, I had a young fellow, who is a student at a Vancouver Film(Movie) School, but wants to learn about "shooting film(stills)" and I had a few options for him so I asked him, "do you want a camera that can do everything (exposure/focus, etc …) for you or do you want a camera where you "have to do" everything? His options were: Canon EOS 1N (body) @ $250, Nikon F65 w/ a AF 28-80 lens @ $100 and an Olympus OM1 w/a Zuiko 50/1.8 @ $250.

He's leaning towards the OM1 but, I'll have to wait until Saturday to see if it's still there :D

Cheers,

Jack

14. Done_rundleCams

Hi Brian,

Re: the out of focus highlights (aka "a group of flowers ;) ) being smoother, I'm guessing that the Summilux lens probably has more blades and the Leica has a larger sensor ;). As for focussing, I'm guessing, that back in the day, you and your Leica/lens would probably be comparable to the AF in a lot of cameras :)

Cheers,

Jack

15. willie45

Hi Jack,

As far as I can tell, I'd be happy with the IQ of the 10-24 and the f4 wouldn't bother me pictorially at these focal lengths. However, I'd expect less performance from focussing in low light and also the weight is a bit more than ideal. However, I'm still pretty tempted.

Meantime, look what I've found :)

http://fujifilmxmount.com/comparison/en/

16. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Hmmm ... would be even more interesting if when you click on any of the 'Read more about this lens' links, they didn't all refer to the XF 35mm f1.4 lens ... My guess is that pretty soon, someone, is going to be 'receiving' the 50-230mm zoom ....:rolleyes:

17. willie45

...Eh?

18. Done_rundleCams

Hi Willie,

Cool site and and, regarding low light focussing, from what I've seen from Fuji's capability, I, honestly, don't think that will be an issue :) Of course, I've not shot with an XT-1 and 10-24 in a low light scenario ;)

Cheers,

Jack

19. willie45

Well, Jack, you've gone and said what I wanted to hear ;) I've ordered the 10-24. I went with WEX because I know that if I really don't like it they never give you any hassle with returns ( brilliant company ) I doubt I will want to return it though, and I expect it will perform as well as I hope. Pricey mind you :(

I'm not sure whether I should sell the 14mm or not. It's a great lens and more portable than I expect the zoom will be so I'm tempted to keep it. I'll give the zoom a go and if it is easy on the hands and I can lug it around without discomfort, I'll probably sell the 14mm

Anyway, I'm quite excited about this lens arriving and hope to get a chance to try it out this weekend. I will report back in due course.

Thanks for the information, Jack, it was very helpful to get your experience from talking in the trade.

20. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I'm sure the 10-24mm will be a keeper Willie. Wouldn't get rid of the 14mm. Personally I don't think of zooms and the XT1 in the same breath. Fast primes a la my dearly missed Leicas.

In fact on balance the Fuji is a better tool then any film Leica. And certainly as far as I am concerned, taking Anno Domini into consideration, the viewfinder and auto focus knocks even the latest digital Leicas into a cocked hat from an operating perspective.