1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new pride and joy

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Benchista, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

how much did you pay for it? Curious as ive seen some going for odd prices!

[​IMG]FRIPN

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Er, enough!

Nick BSRIPN

3. Larry Shone

i take it was a flex not a cord.
    theres a flex for about £119 with sticking slow shutter speeds and another with no meter( a cord) for about £59

[​IMG]FRIPN

4. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

"...Helen looked at me as if I'd grown another head!"

Wot? You mean you've now got THREE /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Geoff

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes, a Rolleiflex 3.5F. The F is the most advanced (classic) Rolleiflex, and as such is the most sought after and expensive /img/wwwthreads/frown.gif. Rollei pricing is very dependant on precise model, condition, rarity and completeness, so older 'Flexes and 'Cords can be pretty cheap. The later 'Flexes, with f3.5 or f2.8 Carl Zeiss Planars or Schneider Xenotars are optically unsurpased to this day, are relatively compact medium format machines of the highest engineering quality and picture taking capability. The 'Cords and 'Flexes with f3.5 Schneider Xenar and coated Zeiss Tessar lenses are also fantastic cameras, although slightly less easy to use (as a general rule - but not that bad!) and the lenses are excellent, although not quite as good wide open. The earlier Tessars and Triotars need to be handled with care, and the focusing screens on the early Rolleis are VERY dim (actually, even the later ones aren't exactly bright, but they can be changed!).
    Sticky slow speeds generally require a service. That's going to be the thick end of £100 - on the other hand, these are cameras for life.
    This website, http://home.worldonline.dk/rongsted/Rolleisn.htm, allows you to determine the model from the serial number. Good user models are the Rolleicord IV and V (and Va and Vb, the b is a bit pricey, though), Rolleiflex Automat, T and 3.5 models of all flavours - although some are very dear. Indeed.

Nick BSRIPN

6. Larry Shone

How does the Seagull compare, i believe these are still being made new.Isnt it distributed by Cosina?

[​IMG]FRIPN

7. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

Seagulls are CRAP!

Although they are more or less copies of old Rolleis, or more likely, copies of Rollei copies, such as the Yashicas or Minolta Autocords, the build quality is quite appalling. When they're actually working they can deliver pretty good results, but unfortunately, they tend not to work for long! /img/wwwthreads/frown.gif

The Chinese still have a lot to learn when it comes to quality control.

Geoff

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

How does the Seagull compare to a Rollei? Welllllllllllllllll, if you only want to produce modest sized enlargements, and treat your camera with real kid gloves, then the Seagull is fine. Lens quality is not as good as a post-war Rollei (not terrible, though), build quality is abysmal (well, it was on my Seagull SLR - I think Will's Seagull was a TLR, though, and ask him what he thinks!) and the controls are generally less easy to use. A new Seagull against, say, a fairly worn Rolleiflex Automat or a nice Rollecord Va, or maybe even a Rolleiflex T? Go for the Rollei. But there are decent non-Rollei options from Yashica, Ricoh and Minolta, amonget others - keep an eye out for them. As for distribution, well it might be distributed by Cosina's UK distributor - I'm not sure - they do all sorts, and are very nice people.

Nick BSRIPN

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

12. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

What? With the M6? Then your resolution did last a long time - until the slippery slope!

Anyway, these are my twins - well, not quite - one (born 1959) is 8 years older than the other (born 1967):

[​IMG]

I wonder who can tell which is which, and why?
    Clive NRIPN

PS Apologies for the photo - forgot to programme the white balance and press the macro button - well, it is getting late. Oh, and forgot to sharpen it as well!

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The older one is on the right - it has the semi-circular protection plate under the strap lugs.

Nick BSRIPN

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Oh, and yes, my resolve did do well - but the collapse has been spectacular! 3 TLRs, 4 rangefinders, and 3 SLRs (I think!).

Nick BSRIPN

15. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Correct, Nick /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif. And the older one is in better, nick /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

[​IMG]

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

All I had to do was to get mine out!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif
    Actually, my new Xenotar is older than my unmetered Planar, and likewise in better nick. The hood and screen on my Planar are pretty poor, and 1 second is a bit sticky - otherwise, it's fine.

Nick BSRIPN

17. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

The older one also says "Franke and Heidecke, Germany" - but the newer one doesn't have 'Germany' on it. The older one is a Type 1 3.5F Planar, but the newer one is a Type 4. The newer one can do 12/24 - but that isn't the reason for distinguishing between the Types. Still not really sure what is.

[​IMG]

18. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

......echo everything Geoff has said only twice as much! Seagull cameras are the biggest pile of unmitigated shite ever to be called a camera! I wouldn't piss on one if it was on fire! Forget them Larry, they are like the stuff that Seagulls deposit all over statues!

BigWill

<font color=blue>Someday Jeri Ryan will weaken!<font color=black>

19. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Not like you to be so vague, Will. Say what you really mean (already)! /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Tim BSRIPN [​IMG]

20. Larry Shone

now i remember in AP a while back where Mr Hicks compared the lens on a Seagull to a well known pro lens on a 35mm camera and exceeded all expectations.

[​IMG]FRIPN