1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

My name is Gemima...

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Gemima, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Gemima

Gemima New Member

And it's a pleasure to be part of this forum!

I am a very amateur photographer, hailing from South Australia in the beautiful country of Australia. I love nature; more specifically, photographing nature. I am the proud owner of a Nikon D3300 with the standard 18-35 and 50-200mm lenses that came with the camera.

Over the past few days I have discovered the beauty of RAW/NEF files and the Nikon Capture NX-D software package.I have an Insta page under @aggrandize.my.zen which shows my "prowess" of nature photography.

Here is an example of my "handiwork": https://instagram.com/p/BwrU2WYBLj7/

I am looking forward to reading. absorbing and using newly acquired knowledge from you all, and from this forum.

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Nice image! :)
    Welcome aboard

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. It will be good to see more images from Australia. I've only been there once and that was to the North West (Pilbara).

4. Gemima

Gemima New Member

Thanks

5. Gemima

Gemima New Member

You will be seeing lots and lots of photos from my hometown of Adelaide, and the nature my fair state if South Australia boasts!

The Pilbara has so many hidden beauties and is a beautiful part of Australia, especially after the rain season!

6. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I like the picture: many tears ago I knew somebody who had grown up about 100 miles from Adelaide, and told me about the blue skies and red soil. It certainly makes a great contrast of colours.

If you upload images (resized to 800-1000 pixels on the longer side) to the AP gallery, we can comment and ask you questions, but if you use something like Instagram or similar websites we have to join those to do so. Also, if the images are in the AP gallery, we can see some of the technical data as long as you don't upload a 'save for web' version that won't have this.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your images.

Gemima likes this.
  8. Gemima

Gemima New Member

Thanks so much Chester! I will upload the photo to the AP gallery, and add some more from my trip to the Yorke Peninsula

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand AP gallery.

There are two places dedicated to show pictures on the forum - the Exhibition Lounge which is for showing off images and the Appraisal Gallery where images can be critiqued. The difference between the two is broadly that in Exhibition people can comment on the content, how much they like the picture etc. and in Appraisal the emphasis is more on how the picture might be improved technically, compositionally etc. which is helpful as a learning process but can be a shock if not expected, though a new member is usually recognised as such.

There are "how to post" instructions, certainly in Appraisal, which hold for any of the forum settings. There is no need for people to join other websites provided those websites allow images to be dynamically linked to from the AP site so the image appears here although it is hosted elsewhere. Such a link is called a bulletin board code (BBC) link.

There is a separate part of the site called the gallery where users can post portfolios. I can't say that I've ever looked there.

10. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

11. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

For the vast majority of people, this is the 3rd party website where people come to chat, after spending a few years posting their photographs on-line.