1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Latest Project...

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by SXH, Nov 22, 2020.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

...or possibly my latest obsession, is to get pics of all the post boxes in Staines, upon-Thames, if you insist.

With that in mind, and needing some exercise (weight up a pound this week), I went for a walk this morning to add a couple to my collection. Actually got four. Two of them are the usual Type A or B derivatives, but one is a nice wall-box...
    [​IMG]
    Elizabeth II - Wall box
    by SteveH, on Flickr

And another is a pole mounted one...
    [​IMG]
    Elizabeth II - Pole box.
    by SteveH, on Flickr

Only problem is that, when I checked my map of post boxes, the pole mounted one is actually just over the border in Riverside and Laleham! How's that for a 1st World problem? :rolleyes:

Geren and Dan S like this.
  2. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

They all have the initial of the reigning monarch. Bonus points if you find an Edward VIII one - they'd only put up a few before he legged it.

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

There are apparently some 'Anonymous' ones, with no monogram - but they date to Victorian times. Never seen one.

There are, iirc,162 Ed VIII pillar boxes, mainly in London, plus a few of other sorts about the place.

Funny thing about Staines, I've mainly found Liz II and George V, with one George VI, so far. No Victoria or Edward VII. Odd. Ah well, still a few to go.

Catriona likes this.
  4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Bonus points if you can get a pic of one being painted?

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Andrew's post reminds me of the serial killers we shared a youth hostel with in Gairloch - every day they'd be in the kitchen in the evening, covered in little spots of blood.

We eventually discovered they were travelling round the North West of Scotland painting phone boxes and post boxes...

daft_biker and Catriona like this.
  6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

It's strange, but I have pictures of at least two boxes with a crown but no letters for the reign.

7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

If they are old pillar boxes, they are probably the Victorian Anonymous ones - made from 1879 to 1887 by a company called Handyside. The post office claimed the lack of the royal cipher was an 'oversight'. According to Old Letter Boxes by Martin Robinson, there are about 300 surviving, most of which are, no surprise, in London.

Catriona likes this.
  8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Here's an oddity: a red GPO telephone box in a Kitzbuhel side street...

Red car next to red phonebox Kitzbuhel Austria Leica M3_56600015.JPG

9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Mine are in rural Lewis. The town ones seem to all have the regnal letters.

10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

In which case they may be more recent. I seem to recall that some (most? all?) Scottish post boxes have just the Scottish crown - apparently the Scots get into a bit of a snit about EII on things... ;)

Catriona likes this.
  11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

A quick Google suggests I was correct - they just have the crown and the Words 'Post Office', sometimes highlighted in gold...

The link, BTW, is to a pic on the Letter Box Study Group site. And interesting group (they even got onto HIGNFY!) and the subscription is quite reasonable - I'm slightly tempted... :oops:

12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I was looking for the thread on post boxes and couldn't find it. I didn't realise it wasn't a thread about them as such but here is a nice one for you anyway, Steve, a GR one.

[​IMG]Pillar Box by Nigel G, on Flickr

AndyTake2, SXH and Catriona like this.
  13. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

180818-Helensburgh-002.jpg

I think this is my only post box shot. I have no idea what it says on the front, or actually if after being run into by a van it might not have been replaced with something else entirely by now. I must check.

SXH likes this.
  14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

As they are generally made of heavy cast iron and are sunk a couple of feet into the ground, I suspect the van may have come off worst! Though I suppose the box may have cracked, need replacing and could end up on this site...

Oh, and another one of the more interesting ones I found...
    [​IMG]
    George V - Wall Mounted.
    by SteveH, on Flickr

15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Having never given postboxes more than the fleetingest of fleeting thoughts before I found myself inspecting all the ones I came across today. One wall mounted one as above had the aforementioned crown but now regnal letters. One on the seafront had a VR though. Terrible snap below:

_P9A4584.jpg

Catriona and SXH like this.