1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Dead Rose

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by dream_police, Jan 17, 2020.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

So as not to hijack the other thread, here is a photo of another dead rose. Yes, it is sad and depressing but that's me!

[​IMG]bowing out by Nigel G, on Flickr

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Highlights on rose distract, nearly as much as the out of focus stem. Must try harder! ;)

There's interesting texture in this, so can you do something to draw that out more? Crop the dead and boring grey space, get in closer, and show us those wrinkles in more detail?

3. dream_police

Haha. Wish I hadn't bothered now.;)

sappymike12 and Zou like this.
  4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

There's a shot to be had there - really looks sad.
    A dark window with raindrops on it as a background would make the computer cry.

Zou and Catriona like this.
  5. dream_police

Not sure if I still have the RAW image so limited to what I can do I guess.
    I might wait for the current roses we have to die. I’m sure I’ll have a rainy window to use in the coming weeks!

as for the large grey area to the right, thst was intentional. Just like we like to see things moving into a space I wanted the rose bowing to an empty space. Probably too arty for my own good, lol.
    The OOF bits weren’t intentional.

Dan S and EightBitTony like this.
  6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Call it 'the last bow' or somesuch and then the space would have made more sense. Never rely on the viewer to interpret the same way you did, we're a silly bunch at the best of times!

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Strange how we all see things differently. It's the plain background which doesn't sit well with me. At the risk of annoying one and all, I gave it two backgrounds. A weedy one through a greenhouse window, and a thundery sky.
    I'll delete this shortly!
    nige rose edit mono.jpg

Dan S and Zou like this.
  8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

To my surprise I quite like the mono treatment but not the distraction of the background. I had a try to do something with it but I got a bit lost in the OnOne B&W conversion which I'd not used before. The texture comes out well and the stalk is easy to turn down but the flower and leaves get too confused.

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

It was a tricky one to isolate the rose. I should have spent more time on it.
    Here's the colour version.
    nige rose edit.jpg

10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I'd start by taking exposure down 2 stops. It needs sympathetic mood.

11. dream_police

Thanks for the comments. Had a few beers in town so will look later when my head is clearer.:)

Catriona likes this.
  12. dream_police

Or something similar like bowing out?:)

Zou likes this.
  13. Catriona

Nah! Do it when your head is spinning. :)

Zou and dream_police like this.
  14. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Better as a wet plate conversion :)

47275215832-bcc3059339-k-Edit_x800_hq.jpg

I like the original, and you can tone down the highlights even on the JPG which removes the distraction. But I do like the original, for me it works really well.

I also think the photograph supports a lot of artistic modification, not all images do, but it's clear from @Catriona's changes that you could do a lot with this image and get something equally pleasing and unique.

Zou likes this.