1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

My coffee machine it ain't pumpin' what am I gonna do.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by frank1, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Yeah, forget the snobby continental muck, we British drink TEA

(Somebody's got to)

2. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

You are dead right, I won't. In fact I never bought it in the first place, it was a gift.

I'm happy to continue using my Moka machine for espressos and a Napoletana machine for filter. They are both very simple devices which most Italian families have in the kitchen, costing a few quid each - and both have worked perfectly since I returned from Italy over 20 years ago.

Regards, Mike

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  3. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

odd how tastes change I was always a tea drinker, then 10 years ago started drinking coffee, now I can't stand tea and would much soon drink instant coffee than tea ANY day, and trust me thats really saying something ;o)

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Actually, we drank coffee before we drank tea, and the cafetiere is actually a British invention from the London coffee houses of the 17th century, I believe.

5. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

Not an uncommon occurrence - and easily remedied. Boil a pan of water and then turn it off. Holding the bottom half of the machine, immerse the top half only into the hot water, head down so to speak, for half a minute or so - not too long.

The top half then expands slightly, allowing the two halves to be unscrewed. You need to use a cloth or oven gloves just so that you can grip and turn it without burning your hands. No need for a vice! :)

Regards, Mike

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

There's always need for vices......

7. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

And before that, ale. [not beer, that's a continental invention with hops.]

8. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Tea was eventually introduced through the coffee houses. A bit like record shops diversifying into selling movies as well as music I suppose. :p

9. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Indeed, except Britain was one of the last European countries to import tea!

10. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Problem solved Argos are selling the same machine for £49.99. I've just been I've had an espresso and the world is looking much better now. I will at some stage attempt a repair on the former machine. Only for a good friend who told me about the Argos offer today. I'd be here now urging myself to get up and have a go at a repair knowing full well that I can't be a**ed. I know we have our own choices but for me a really good espresso is the bee's knees and this particular machine does the business.
    Ps I drink Earl Grey.

11. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Yes I've just seen that half price offer, not bad at all.

12. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I know someone that is selling a really really good used one.