1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

My Bacon Saved

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MickLL, Jun 29, 2020.

1. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

In the morning it's my job to make toast for the boys. Carving a slice a couple of minutes ago a small voice said,"Granddad, mind the wire".

I was about to cut through the toaster cable!!

How has your bacon been saved?

MickLL

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I stopped pressing big RED buttons :D

AGW likes this.
  3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I stopped using the brother in law as a handyman after he drilled through the ringmain.

4. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Working in a dangerous industry, I'm very risk-aware by nature. However if my wife had let me sleep off my "flu" on New Years Day 2018 instead of calling 111, I wouldn't be alive now.

beatnik69 and Zou like this.
  5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Was he ok?

6. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

He was until Mike got hold of him! :eek:

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Hopefully once the leccy had stopped running through his body!

8. RovingMike

He was shaking like a leaf, The bang was incredible. Fortunately the SDS drill was well insulated. He assumed the cables ran down from one socket and across to another.....they didn't.

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Back in 1976 I had a summer job painting a house. A big Victorian one. Had a triple ladder. I was rubbing down the front fascia board, about 25 feet up when I heard an odd cracking noise. I looked down. About 12’ of cast iron guttering had decided to fall off the third storey window which was for the attic room about 8 feet above me and standing proud of the sloping roof. The gutter slid down, straight over my bent head and exploded when it hit the paved path below. If I’d looked up, instead of down, I’d have got it in the teeth. 50/50 chance I reckon. It was fun climbing down. I was shaking so much the ladder was bouncing all over the place.

RovingMike likes this.
  10. RovingMike

I was landing a glider once that was notoriously difficult to fly. Stupid thing just wouldn't stick to the ground, went right through spectators picnicking on the overrun and finally stopped about 9" from the boundary fence. You should have seen the people shift.

11. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I cut through the cable of the hedge clippers once. Fortunately, I had an RSD in place.

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Mrs S's daughter started dating a fellow nhs employee. He gave me CPR until the ambulance arrived.

RovingMike likes this.
  13. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Climbing a birch tree at the back of my house, and I fell off it. Luckily I had a rather sketchy tether (made out of a crab line) that slowed me on the way down.

14. dream_police

When I was shot at and they missed.

John Farrell likes this.
  15. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

When I was very small and attempted to answer the question "Are the bars on the electric fire hot?" by touching one

16. dream_police

RovingMike likes this.
  17. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I was once in an African country and one of the inhabitants said only worry if one of the police points his gun at you. His mate chipped in, "Nah - he won't have any ammo but you should worry if the National Guard point their guns at you they do have ammo". The first friend replied, " Still no need to worry - they will be so drunk they will miss".

This conversation was apropos getting me out of the country, which I had entered illegally (accidentally - but that's a longer story).

Nige - glad they missed!

MickLL

dream_police likes this.
  18. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

A bit like Poland 'accidentally' invading the Czech Republic recently? ;)

19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

20. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Not quite. Cutting out lots of the story - it all centred around the guy with my entry visa forgetting to meet me on arrival (middle of the night). I used my silver tongue :) and 'talked my way in' (I had a faxed copy of the visa). The visa didn't get an entry stamp and because I hadn't formally entered the country I wasn't allowed to leave. Again cutting out even more of the story I was eventually bundled into a car and driven to the steps of the plane avoiding all formalities. I climbed the steps, they slammed the door and we were off - almost before I got to my seat!.

Boy was I nervous on my next visit to that country.

MickLL

Zou and SXH like this.