1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

My 8 legged friends(SPIDER PICS)

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Larry Shone, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

WARNING, CONTAINS SPIDER PICS

I have 4 Tarantulas in total, 2 adults, or near enough, and 3 babys

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Clodhopper

Clodhopper Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I'm not going to look at the large versions of these pics... I'm sure the tarantulas are very cute, and you love them a lot, but...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!

3. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Eeek! Why can't you just keep a hamster like everyone else! :eek: You could hire it out to Myk to replace our ailing forum hamster who is sadly lacking in his duties of powering the forum software these days! :eek: :D ;)

Big(arachnophobic! :eek:)Will

4. Larry Shone

Hmm, a Hamster. That would make a nice meal for Hawk! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ;)

5. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Aw! Don't they look cuddly?

6. Larry Shone

He he,funny, my 3 year old daughter loves em, in fact she named most of em!
    (BTW, I'm not having a dig at anyone who is arachnophobic, personally I hate heights and ladders, silly but there you go!)

7. Larry Shone

Yep, until they shoot up your arm!

8. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I was afraid of that! Myk, I think we've found a new home for "Hammy"......................at least he'll have done some good around here when he goes......................and when you think about it, eight legs has gotta be better than four when it comes to powering his wheel! :eek:

Big(Alas poor Hammy, I knew him well! :eek:)Will

9. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

A friend of mine used to keep bird-eating spiders as well as reptiles and other exotica. I've handled most things - snakes, monitor lizards and scorpions. He's got a shot of me with an Atlas Moth perched on my nose!

10. Larry Shone

LOL Will, well the last picm, thats Hawk. He has recently molted into adulthood so is now bigger, about 9 inches legspan,so he could probably manage a Hamster actually, but i stick to crickets and other bugs(eating a locust in that pic)
    Plus its illegal to feed live mammals in this country.

11. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

Been meaning to take some pics of the big ol house spidders around here but cant find me flash head. :eek: I swear one of the lil b****ers was as wide as my hand. :D

12. Larry Shone

Ah the name Bird Eating spider is an old old name for the first Tarantula discovered, Avicularia avicularia. It is an arboreal species, i.e. they live in trees isntead of on the ground.
    Never ate a bird.
    My Hawk, the last pic, green one, is an arboreal relative to those Tarantulas.
    They move like lightning!

13. Larry Shone

You mean one of these?
    This was taken with the digi zoomed fully out and a close up lens attached. totally in the dark and pop up flash used
    Gotta love that canmera!
    Click view...

Oversize image chaned to link.

14. downfader

Thats the fella.

15. Larry Shone

Tegenaria domestica/agrestis,love em!
    I kept one for a while in an old sugar dispenser(now used for a dwarf tarantula), and it laid eggs which hatched. Baby spiders everywhere!

16. downfader

Hmm found the flash head, trouble is the big guys have now gone and hidden somewhere. :( I think I need a new micro lens for the nikon, lol! 55mm just aint big enough. :rolleyes:

What gets me is how people say British spiders cant bite you. Beleive me they can. I was bitten a couple of times as a kid :eek: I'd still say I was arachnophobic, lol - could never have pets like yours. :eek:

17. Larry Shone

Oh yea they can definitely bite, and theyre all venomous! Did you know that those tiny money spiders are related to Black Widows?

I got bit by a centipede when i was a kid, left a mark i still have.

18. downfader

Money spidders are related to the widows..? Cool! My Bro goes on about something called the False Widow, though I havent seen any. TBH I know very little about insects and arachnids. If it looks good/interesting I'll take a photo and thats about as far as it gets. :D

19. Larry Shone

There you go!

[​IMG]

20. Larry Shone

Exhibition lounge? This wasnt here last time I was here! My posts keep getting moved without any advance notification and I have trouble finding em, especially when browing on my phone. :D

Anyway,check oiut this weird spider!

[​IMG]