1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

multi reel dev tanks

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by tamos, Apr 2, 2003.

1. tamos

tamos Member

I'm getting through more films and was considering a bigger tank to develope more rolls at once (Paterson do 5 and 8 reel models). I'm mostly using 35mm and it's basically an attempt to save time on developing and spend it on printing (soon to have a darkroom at home - hooray!).

Has anyone any experience with these bigger tanks? Any advice on their use would be appreciated? Any problems to watch out for, etc. I can see that loading so many reels in a changing bag is going to be tricky but hopefully having a darkroom will sort that out.

Also any suggestions regarding other methods of developing several rolls at once?

2. RichardHardwick

RichardHardwick Well-Known Member

I've used Jobo 1520 tanks which hold 2 35mm reels. By adding the 1530 extension (basically just a tube) it will hold a further 3 35mm reels. You have the advantage of reverting to the smaller tank when required.

Attaching these to a rotary processor, such as the Jobo CPE-2, reduces the chemicals used by more than half. If you are processing a lot of film it may be worth considering.

Richard
    <a href=http://www.richardhardwick.com>www.richardhardwick.com</a>

3. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Yes, I use a five reel Paterson tank (as well as smaller ones). The one thing I would say you must bear in mind is that you will need five (or eight) times as much space for drying the films after developing, and of course five sets of clips, and five reels (they aren't supplied with the tank), five times the volume of chemistry, and the measures, jugs, etc. to handle it. All this is fairly obvious though.

As regards particular tips on use, the only thing that I think is worth mentioning is that you need to be more careful with agitation. If you agitate by inversion the greater pressure of the chemistry flowing back down after an inversion can give rise to over development in the area of the film near the sprocket holes. Reduce the inversions to just one a minute or one every 30 seconds and you should be fine. If you do as per some recommendations and invert continuously for, say, ten seconds in every spell of agitation then you may have problems.

Also bear in mind that the increased pressure may give increased leakage from the lid during inversion - I can imagine the eight reel tank might even pop its lid if you are not careful. Anyway, I definitely have more cleaning up to do after using the bigger tank than a smaller one, and when inverting the leaking chemistry does tend to fly around a bit, so you want to be careful if there is anything nearby that may be damaged by it (like fabrics, or electricals).

As for other methods, well there are some deep tanks like the Nova ones designed for doing multiple reels, but that would be a far more expensive option, and really needs permanent space because you cannot simply move them around with the weight of the water bath inside them. If you want to do colour processing though and are serious about it, then I would definitely go for a deep tank. They are much better at keeping the temperature well controlled than any other option I know.

Huw Evans.
    www.huwevans.freeuk.com

4. josie

josie Well-Known Member

Don't forget, you've got to develop all the same films at the same time!
    So you need to bulk buy your film, and then store it till you develop it!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif
    Another thing to consider is, if you get something wrong, you've lost all the films, not just one or two!

Bye For Now,
    Jo/img/wwwthreads/wink.gifBecause I'm worth it! (Blatantly Nicked from TV advert.)

5. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

I think most of the issues have ben covered by everyone else, I for one am less worried about saving time in developing my negs than printing or scanning them as Jo has rightly pointed out developing your negs is the most important stage in the process get it wrong and you've either lost an important image or 100 or more, or you could end up with a neg that is an absolute nightmare to get a decent print from.
    My advice is keep things simple then hopefully you will avoid some of the mistakes that can happen and anyway in the time that your first one or two films that you processed are drying you will have finished processing the rest of the batch of films and then get onto printing up your negs (you can only contact one film at a time or print one neg at a time)

<font color=blue>RonM IRIPN</font color=blue>
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've got two dev tanks - both Paterson - an ancient Universal, which will do 2 rolls of 35mm or one of 120, and a multi roll thingy - 5, I think. I tend to do up to 4 rolls with it - it is a real time saver, and if you're an irregular developer like me, maximises multi-use developers or makes mixing one shot easier. And it makes me less impatient!

Nick BSRIPN

7. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

All my Paterson tanks have been strengthened with duct tape or double glazing tape around the body. I have had them develop splits along the body, caused by tapping to dislodge air bubbles no doubt.

Johnmac

8. Simon E.

Simon E. Well-Known Member

9. CHIPS

CHIPS Well-Known Member

Re: Developer dilution table

Beware when developing multiple films in a large tank to allow sufficient chemical. Very tempting in a tank which holds 5 films and 1 litre to dilute 1:2 for economy - but most films need at least 100mm (some more) of raw chemical so in the example given 1:1 would be the maximum dilution. Jobo USA web site gives loads of info on this sort of thing. It's based on Jobo usage of course but far far wider relevance.