1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS Edge - an imposition!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by miked, Oct 28, 2020.

1. miked

miked Well-Known Member

My computer has been taken over today by Microsoft who have forced a new browser thingy they call MS Edge. I have tried to get rid of it but it seems it's stuck there fast and is now immovable. I regard this as an intrusion on my privacy.
    Am I wrong; am I just neurotic, or what?
    Incidentally, as long as I am able I will not use MS browser.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The old internet explorer (ie) is defunct and edge replaces it - and has done for years - it isn’t new. The migration takes all bookmarks and passwords across. There is apparently an ie mode which makes edge look like ie but I haven’t figured that out yet. I don’t like the default appearance of edge. After years of using ie that’s what I expect on a PC used for work.

Normally I use Safari for browsing on an ipad and for accessing sites I use regularly on a mac. Not all sites support it so I run Chrome as well but I don’t like Chrome, I find it counter intuitive.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have used Firefox for many years on both PCs and Macs. I have a Windows 10 tablet but I don't/won't use Edge. One advantage of Firefox is that I can share bookmarks and passwords between devices which I find useful. I also like the container tabs that, I am told, prevent my searches in Amazon from being read by Google etc. I have my doubts and concerns about Google so I won't use Chrome or Gmail or Google maps. I am not entirely comfortable with Microsoft either but Office is so ubiquitous that it is almost impossible to avoid.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I really dislike Windows 10 and am not over keen on edge, it tipped me to change to an iMac. I still have the Windows PC, but only use it on very odd occasions, probably twice this year. A friend has a laptop which still runs on XP, he had to stop using Explorer long ago, as time goes on there is less that can be accessed with the thing, he resolutely refuses to upgrade it.

5. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for your comments. From all that I have read it appears MS Edge follows everything you look at on the net, which is just one reason for me to stay with Firefox.

ascu75 likes this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Windows 10 and Edge have won me over to the now-sort-of-dark-grey side. They work really well on the LG Gram.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think you mean, the computer Microsoft generously let you use to run their products. It isn't yours, it is theirs!

You never have to use a Microsoft browser on a Mac.

8. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

When I had to buy a new PC in 2018, I got one with W10 already installed. My PC man advised me to stop using MS Explorer because MS hadn't updated any of its security features for a long time, and suggested Google Chrome. It took a while to get used to it, but I find its security features useful (the blocking of all the unwanted data-harvesting cookies on the AP website, or example). MS Explorer is still installed, but not used. Presumably if MS Edge is automatically downloaded as part of a Windows update I may need to remind Windows that Google Chrome is still my preferred web browser.

So if MS Edge is now the only web browser on your PC, perhaps downloading and installing Google Chrome, and making that your preferred web browser, may be worth trying. Possibly somebody here has already done this - watch this space.

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If you do decide to use Chrome read the privacy setting documentation very carefully, especially if you have a google account. By default it remembers everything you do and saves it on your google account for analytics. Google knows more about you than you do.

10. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I read it carefully and decided not to even consider having a Google account. It is too east to be lazy and end up sharing your private life with the whole world. I also don't have a smartphone for similar reasons.

proseak likes this.
  11. proseak

proseak Well-Known Member

Not sure but I think there's still a version of Opera that runs on XP & receives security updates.

12. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Win 7 and Firefox still work for me.

13. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

All my computers are Win10 Pro, but I don't use Edge, but Chrome. Having the settings copied to all is very useful when using Remote Desktop. Actually my new tablet is Win10 Home, but as I don't use it for telescope control it's not a problem.
    Oh, and there is an old HP box that is Win7 Pro, but not sure it could be updated to Win10.

14. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

I think the 'new' recent version was developed with Google and is now based firmly on Chrome unlike the original and not much liked version.

15. Andrew Flannigan

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yeah, I use it for all activities related to my wife's business - separate browsers just makes life easier. I find it perfectly usable, and less intrusive than many other browsers. I used to run mainly Opera and Firefox, but I actually have far less issues with Chrome and Edge these days - occasionally, something doesn't work properly on one, but does perfectly well on the other.

17. Andrew Flannigan

Definitely.
    I'm not using Chrome on Windows at the moment. For some reason it hangs randomly on a number of operations, even just switching tabs. Works just fine on OS-X though.

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

All very odd.

19. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I disliked edge from get go and used Firefox but now I have an iPad I don’t have any need for MS. I have enough with my Multiple Sclerosis I don’t need any more ms Anyone notice I am doing less spelling mistakes? X Don

miked, DaveM399, Zou and 1 other person like this.
  20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Not noticed but pleased you have another assistant to help out:D

ascu75 likes this.