1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP's/Ministers Salaries....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dangie, Sep 5, 2012.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

A little morning question.

Following the Cabinet move around yesterday, would I be right in assuming that if an MP was prompoted from the back benches to a ministerial position he/she would be entitled to the ministerial salary from the day they took up the position?

Correspondingly, if a minister was demoted from a ministerial position and returned to the back benches, would their salary return back to their basic MP's level straightaway or is there a period of notice before it does? Thank you.

2. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I have no idea but here's an additional question.

Does a Minister Without Portfolio get the same salary as a Minister With Portfolio?

MickLL

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  3. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

My guess is that ministerial appointments come with enhanced pension rights and golden parachutes, but for an authoritative answer perhaps it would be best to ask the Minister for Work and Pensions (or Joblessness and Penury, or whatever it's called now).

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Surely the real and important matter underlying all of this musical chairs, is why less than 3 years since the last run up to a General Election, there now seems to be a real push regarding keeping the status of London's Airport as a major European hub airport. If memory serves me correctly, Boris was proposing his island in the Thames Estuary solution before the election, but real or imagined fears about wildlife shoved it into the long grass. We've now wasted 3 years, and my guess is that there's now clear evidence that hub style air transport is moving to Europe. If only our planners had better crystal balls!

5. Lost_In_France

Lost_In_France Well-Known Member

You mean we actually pay these clowns to be MPs and Ministers! :D

6. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

You would make an excellent politician yourself. You get asked a question, reply by saying that the ,"real question is ........." and then go off on your own tangent. ;);););)

For the avoidance of any possible doubt - this is a gentle leg-pull and nothing else.

MickiLL

7. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

So I haven't changed then. My physics supervisor criticised me for not keeping to the point - and that was back in 1960. Leg-pull much appreciated.

8. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

We do, you appear (judging by your name) to be in France! :p

9. Lost_In_France

Lost_In_France Well-Known Member

Used to! Spent 10 years there before returning back to good ol' blighty last year. Suppose I should get around to asking the mods for a name change one of these days.

Must say though that the French politicians are no better in any respect, other than their sexual exploits do tend to get better publicised in the press!

10. gollum

gollum Well-Known Member

Now that is a very good question :)

11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

In some circles it is called lateral thinking, and is highly prized

Roger

12. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Seeing everyone has shot off at a tangent, I suspect nobody knows the answer to my original question then..??

13. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

If "our planners had better crystal balls" they might notice that jet air transport does 15-20 times as much damage to the environment as burning the same amount of fuel at ground level. Bout time that air travel was clamped down on, severely.

The business case is far from convincing as videoconferencing is cheap and effective compared with what it was only a few years ago.

The airport saga is just another case of the major parties (ALL of them) selling out to the short-term interests of their businessman cronies.

14. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

This doesn't answer it all but there is a lot of interesting stuff there.

15. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Have you ever tried to do serious, very serious, business in a multi-cultural group by video. I have and I can tell you that it's bl***y impossible. The scope for misunderstanding is extraordinary especially if any part of the business is in any way subtle.

BTW this is not to be taken as support for air travel expansion.

MickLL

16. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

Quite right, the scope for misunderstandings across linguistic and cultural boundaries is already high, even in face-to-face communication. In addition to that, anything said or implied is on record as a video file, which is not always conducive to sensitive negotiations.

Besides, you can't exchange wads of cash by video link either. :)

Regards, Mike

17. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

Plainly not for this country but in the Hispanic ones in the 60s/70s it was the Minister Without Portfolio that took the bribes for the ruling Junta.

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Just to complicate the issues. Wot about ministerial pensions?