1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

MPP MK8

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by Steve L, Sep 27, 2001.

1. Steve L

Steve L Well-Known Member

I've just bought a MPP MK8 (5x4) with a couple of lenses. If there there anyone out there with one of these cameras or experience of one I'd like to hear from you. Has anyone out there got an instruction book? I have one for the MK7 but the MK8 has some significant differences.
    I got the camera, a Schneider 150mm F5.6 super symmar and a Schneider 90mm F8 super angulon. The camera has a rangefinder which appears to work fine and has both the matched rangefinder cams for the lenses.
    The lenses are clean but I need to get the shutters serviced and buy a few other bits a pieces like film holders and filter adaptor rings, but with any luck I should be up and running with it in a few weeks. Let you know how I get on.
    SteveL
    www.stevephoto.co.uk

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Very nice, you lucky sod!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

If you have no luck try Oldtimer.

Get out and get shooting!!

3. Steve L

Steve L Well-Known Member

I've posted a photo of the MPP at the bottom of page three of my gallery in the AP gallery (I must get 'round to clearing out the old pictures). I should be up and running with it in time for the autumn colours at the end of October. As soon as I get some pictures back, I'll post them.

4. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Steve,

The M.P.P. Mk7 was the standard R.A.F. camera for years, and yes, with the two lenses you mention. Later on it was replaced with the Mk 8.Any differences are insignificant, it is the sort of camera that you play with you don't need an instruction book to operate the camera. Steve Simmonds book should steer you in the right direction as to technique. As a technical or press camera it is fine, but somewhat crude, yes it has movements, of a sort but being a flat bed in part these movements require a lot of going backwards and forwards to achieve focus.
    However for your sort of photography this won't really matter. I can't remember if they changed the extension locks for the triple extension between the two models, but if they didn't watch out, the catches can take bits out of your fingers. The main area of difference is around the front standard but all the controls are the same albeit somewhat modernised.

The M.P.P. was a good workhorse without the quality of the Linhof version. Get a Poloroid back, some of the emulsions are fabulous and the backs are really cheap.

Brian.

5. TimF

I look forward to it!

NB This should have been posted last night, but I got cut off and couldn't be arsed to re-connect./img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

6. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Poor Tim. Cut off in his prime! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif
    BigWill

7. TimF

Story of my life pal!!!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif