1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mouse Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by MickLL, Sep 9, 2018.

1. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I have a wireless mouse and am running Win7 pro.

For a very long time all has been OK but suddenly a day or two ago it seems that my mouse 'goes to sleep' after a period of idleness and won't move.
    A single left click gets it moving again .

It's a bit irritating. Any ideas.

MickLL

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

You may have sleep enabled for the mouse. Look for "Power Management" which should appear in either the Device Manager under "Mice and Other Pointing Devices" or in "Human Interface Devices" (for later versions of Windows). Disable "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". See if that fixes it.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have an iMac with wireless keyboard and trackpad, they all go to sleep if not used for a while, pressing the trackpad or a key wakes the device and the computer. I would actually be more surprised if the mouse didn't go to sleep. I know Windows is very good at installing updates, and plenty of them, could the driver software for the mouse have been updated and changed the behaviour?

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have a modern mouse running under W10 and yes that goes to sleep if not used for a while, apparently this is part of a battery saving routine . I comes back alive if the left button is pressed. I am wondering if you could have had a driver update that introduced this "enhancement"

5. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Thanks Guys. I can't find anything according to the suggestions so far.
    The mouse stops randomly - even seconds after it was last used so I don't think that it's a power saving thing but I might be wrong of course. I looked at Windows updates but could only see stuff relating to Security Essentials and NET.

Maybe I'll have to live with it until that light bulb moment.

MickLL

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Does it need a new battery?

peterba and EightBitTony like this.
  7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Sounds very likely.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I was thinking much the same.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

And I was about to type it while you posted.
    Let's face it, it's an easy thing to check.

10. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Doooooh!!!!

My senior moments are becoming more frequent and more embarrassing. Yesterday I drove to a nature reserve that I've visited dozens of times before. Without thinking I turned right instead of going straight on. I'm really not enjoying getting old.

In terms of the mouse I even forgot that it had a battery.

Thanks for the help.

MickLL

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If it is any consolation, I only think about the batteries in my trackpad and keyboard when I get a low battery warning in the computer screen

12. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

And as for the wrong turning sometimes I think the car knows where I am going even if I don't - recently I went out on a short errand and suddenly found myself in the Surgery car park, the car had remembered that I had a prescription to pick up even though I had forgotten.

13. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

This reminds me of a recent thread where I said I preferred wired mice. This is why. The failure modes of battery powered wireless mice are random.

Catriona likes this.
  14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Only because they have been designed that way. It is surely a simple matter to design the interface to display a low battery warning on the computer screen. Apple seem to manage it.

15. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

My Windows based mice are fine and each has a low battery warning.

16. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Having just lost my PC for four days to a firm with a brief to check the usb ports - I have eventually had my PC returned.
    Nothing wrong with the ports. Everything wrong with my old mouse.

New mouse - £10 Just waiting for the bill.

I did wonder if the cable was kinked although it didn't look it. Mouse was just on its last legs.
    I suppose a life of 10 years or so wasn't bad!

17. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Five times longer than a pet mouse and no food required.

I trust they don't charge you for four days work.

Catriona likes this.
  18. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I hope not too! I wasn't full of confidence with the first engineer I spoke to, but the one who delivered it back today was on the ball. I think they'll be fair with me. Hope so anyway.

19. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

Its a mystery why your mouse does that.....but I have to say every mouse that I have dropped on the floor fails to work properly afterwards....

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Time was when the solution to a mouse problem was to get a cat...