1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Motorcycle Woes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bipolar, Sep 18, 2020.

1. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I’m kinda warming to it lol

2. John King

John King Well-Known Member

It is good practice if the K series are going to be laid up for a few months it is better to run the fuel low and remove the tank and completely empty it. The reason being, on the left hand side there is a recess below where the fuel pump sits. This has a tendency to collect water which can come in via the filler cap or even with the fuel, which if yours is the same as over here in UK, has a proportion of Ethanol added to make the fuel 'cleaner'. (5 or 10%) Unfortunately this also is hydroscopic and absorbs water from the atmosphere. The water, being heavier than the fuel gravitates to and will sit in this recess and over time will rot the aluminium fuel tank. You don't really want to know the price of a new tank! We are talking close to 4 figures in UK £'s
    I had this happen to one of my K75's and the only solution was to source a good second hand one. It was already 31 years old when I acquired it so the damage was well on it's way by then.
    Also leaving the fuel for several months will also most likely cause it to deteriorate and this may lead to poor starting when you come to fire it up in the spring. Fuel is very definitely not the same as when it contained lead. It doesn't even smell the same

3. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Does anyone here remember the red-bannered 'Motorcycle Sport' magazine? This was published until the end of 1995 and had articles about the Feet-Forward [FF] and centre-hub steering Quasars and Quasars, plus an article about one of these side-swiping and writing-off the nemesis of many motorcyclists, a Volvo estate, whilst the rider, (Royce Creasy or Malcolm Newall) walked away uninjured!

4. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

No but I do remember seriously wanting a Quasar back in the day.....