1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Motorcycle Woes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bipolar, Sep 18, 2020.

1. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Not tempted by the newer Norton dominator SS?

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

From a company which produces more bankruptcies than motorcycles and is now Indian? No thank you.
    And I say that as someone whose first big bike was a 650SS which I loved.

S

3. retrofit

India put together a lot of motorbikes, including KTMs

I know the 200 dukes had problems, but modern motorcycles these days (like cars) are either A or A+ (debatable of course ;))

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Do these count as modern if they still make them?

http://www.f2motorcycles.ltd.uk/uralcombo.html

5. retrofit

6. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

That Norton would probably be a project to get to riding condition. I see a couple restored one near me
    that they are asking a lot for them.

7. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Used to do that with an elderly Allegro estate. I assumed there was a missing gear tooth or 2 but could be wrong.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

There's a car company just round the corner from me that does something very similar - Alvis. https://www.thealviscarcompany.co.uk/
    Fun to walk past the showroom in front of their workshop (I hesitate to call it a "factory"), and we see quite a few of the cars about.

9. steveandthedogs

No, it's definitely not a repro. An evolution, in the same way other vehicle makes are, but the Urals are still basically copies of the old wartime BMW, and the Ural has never gone out of production.
    I would call something like the new Bonny a modern reproduction - a totally new design wrapped in old style clothes.
    S

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

No price list on their website. Just had a hunt around google. Prices start at 250K. Might give it a miss but they are very nice.

11. retrofit

The Urals get a lot of hate online it seems.

John King likes this.
  12. retrofit

A friend owns the BMW S1000RR, basically a 200 bhp sports bike capable of 200 mph, ABS, traction control and a pit limiter fitted :D

I ditched sports bikes after I sold my R6 (that thing was insane!)

I’m more for the classic and modern day 2 strokes now :)

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes, they're not cheap. ;)

14. steveandthedogs

I'll bet from the arse in the air, head down by the headlight brigade.
    Never ridden one, but vaguely knew a bloke who had one. Fun to see the looks on peoples' faces when he suddenly shot off backwards. Yes, they have a reverse gear.

S

ps

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  15. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I have ridden one, not mine I hasten to add. They look like an early BMW, (designs were pinched after the war) but they have about as much similarity to a BMW motorcycle as a Rolls Royce has to a little grey Ferguson tractor (with less comfort). So any disparaging remarks about them are probably reasonably correct.

16. steveandthedogs

Of course they aren't like a modern Beemer. And at present, they are way over priced; a few years ago they were a sensible price for what they were, since the Americans got involved, prices have been rocketing. No surprise there.

S

17. retrofit

I’m not a fan, but I don’t really like side cars. I spent a lot of my time riding mx bikes like the CR, KX and YZ (proper off road bikes)

Most field bikes (cheap £300 wrecks) would make it across but die soon after. I’d be interested what the Ural bike runs and looks like soon after...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  18. retrofit

The build quality and finish reminds me of bikes made by Yamasaki :D

19. retrofit

I take it back! Yamasaki look far better :p

20. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I sometimes find myself watching this guy and his wading test didn't go so well...

The video you posted was possibly one he referred to.