1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

motor bike

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by linnet9, Jan 11, 2004.

1. linnet9

linnet9 Well-Known Member

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

The chap at the bottom of the thread reckons its a Gillet (a Belgian maker between 1919-60). I don't understand a word of the language, but that bit was intelligible to me!

Unfortunately the name on the bike's tank is obscured by the crease in the photo, but what is visible doesn't resemble any Norton script I know; however it does have some similarities to the Gillet pictures I have been able to locate. As to the model, your guess is as good as mine! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Tim BSRIPN
    <font color=blue>"A carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond"</font color=blue>

3. linnet9

Triker says that "it is a pre1933 Gillet judging by the upright cylinder.
    Because of the double outlet, I would say that it is the Golden Ball model but if you want to know exactly wait till next week when I am at home and can look it up."
    I was just curious to know if anyone here knew more about it than the cloggie.
    Thanks anyway Tim

4. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Bit before my time Jan. Strange name for a motorbike. Can't see the Japs ever naming a bike the "Golden Ball". I mean it sounds like the bloke in the flat cap is extremely talented in the trouser department as he sits astride his "golden balls!" /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

5. linnet9

If it had not been for Tim I would have avoided that translation for I knew what would catch your eye !!
    Last night the picture would not download for me so I'll go and take another look. I resisted buying a book on motor bikes when at the Black Country Museum last year. Just for fun I think I'll email them for they seemed a great bunch of guys.
    Sad things is that the kind of folk likely to know are less likely to waste their time on the internet. I mean, Fred Dibnah and his cronies the other night - their only concession to modern technology seemed to be to have a mobile phone so that their wives could find them - like Fred, I really disapproved of that /img/wwwthreads/frown.gif

6. TimF

Re: motor bike/The Bol D'Or

[​IMG]

Tim BSRIPN
    <font color=blue>"A carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond"</font color=blue>

7. BigWill

How to really annoy the wife..........

..............always carry your mobile phone, just don't switch it on! Drives her nuts does that! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

8. TimF

Re: motor bike/The "Competition"

I did wonder about this one?
    [​IMG]

Tim BSRIPN

9. linnet9

Re: motor bike/The "Competition"

I wonder too TIM?...could well be!

Thought you might like to hear what Gerda had to say today - nice anecdote.
    "Thank you all for your swell responses
    Mostly,Triker – you’re a treasure. Now I have more background info on my father whom I lost to cancer when he was 60 and I 21 – too young to be interested in his story.
    Indeed he was cool and I remember one anecdote. Once he drove into a café and ordered a pint, still sitting on his bike.
    What they thought of it I don’t know (my mum also is no longer with us so I can’t ask her) But I do know that her brother also rode on the bike and that the second man in the fotos was probably him.
    And sure, I should like to know all there is to know when you find out !!"

Gerda is heavily into getting people's stories and can be annoyingly persistent, as I have found to my cost, but she is extremely kind.

Coffee time :)

10. linnet9

Re: How to really annoy the wife..........

I noticed on Saturday that you DO have to have it switched on and let it ring for about 15 seconds to be certain that everyone know what a flash needed guy you are /img/wwwthreads/frown.gif/img/wwwthreads/frown.gif
    Art galleries are not an exception for most staff are too chicken to tell you off !!

11. BigWill

Re: How to really annoy the wife..........

........and of course it MUST be a totally irritating ring tone like "Old Macdonald had a farm" or something to get the full annoying effect! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

12. linnet9

passes all the visual checks I am able to make down to the tyres.
    How about posting to Gerda ? Easy to register. Nice to beat the Dutch :))
    Janice

13. linnet9

14. TimF

[​IMG]
    So it does Janice. This one does resemble those ancient clocks you see in cathedrals sometimes. /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Tim BSRIPN