1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Morrison's to ......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MickLL, Jan 23, 2020.

1. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

axe thousands of managerial jobs.

That should please some on here. :):)

MickLL

SqueamishOssifrage and Catriona like this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Head office ones? ;)

3. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Afraid not. In store managers - such as wine & spirit manager etc.

Plan apparently is to lose about 3000 such managers but create about 7000 "direct customer facing" positions. Nett gain of 4000 posts if I remember the numbers correctly. It was also said that any of the 3000 managers who wanted to stay with Morrisons - presumably at shop floor pay rates - would be accommodated.

MickLL

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I remember when it was here. Didn't stay long at all. Just ditched us. I think that was when Tesco took over, but I could be wrong. We liked Morrisons and were disappointed to be ditched by them.
    Hmm. Our Co-op wine and spirits manager/s don't exactly go overboard apart from an excess of foreign beers. Wine selection is almost static. Mind you, out here in the ooloo we get whatever the glasgow warehouse deigns to send us. It is almost guaranteed that if something really nice hits our shelves, it disappears the following week.
    Morrisons has it seems a very tight profit margin tolerance and just does what it feels like to up the profits again.

5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

First to go will be those who transferred over from Safeway, as they get paid more. Given the amount of staff cuts there have been amongst customer service staff in recent times, the 7000 jobs are just replacing some of the staff that are already gone. The rumour mill in store is that they are trying to slash the wage bill to try and make the business attractive to a potential buyer. Word on the street is it's being touted to Amazon (Morrison's supplies Amazon Pantry).

daft_biker likes this.
  6. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Not all of the 7000 "new" jobs will be full time. Many will be part time at minimum wage.

7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Morrisons pay above minimum wage.

8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

And have been in economic troubles for a long while. They grew on a quality platform when Tesco and Sainsburys were doing cheap cheap. Then those reacted to that and slammed that door. Then Aldi and Lidl came and ripped the bottom end out and the biggies reacted to that following the economic crisis. Morrisons are the meat in the sandwich.

Catriona likes this.
  9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It is fair to say that the UK grocery market is now a very tough place to be, it's not just Morrisons that find themselves in a difficult place here, although the profits might seem to be large the reality is as a percentage of turnover it looks a lot less rosy. It's not only Morrisons that feel the heat from the German discounters, who are employing a different business model, all the supermarket chains are in a similar position.

10. RovingMike

But it is true that layers of management do proliferate over time, just as overmanning can in many areas. Most big companies need to thin them out. Some have done so in a very draconian way and improved agility and speed to market as a result. It is one of the things consultants are fairly good at because they don't have status and fiefdoms to protect.

Learning likes this.
  11. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Hmm. SWMBO's employer lost a whole deck of middle management level jobs as a result of nice Mr Osborne's austerity. But they needed managers to replace those they'd pushed out, so the new managers were employed on the same pay scale as the people they were managing (but with extra responsibilities). The result has been that people come in, realise they are being screwed, stay long enough to get trained and have it on their CV, and bugger off again (and who can blame them?). So the end result is that they've spent far more money on recruitment and had a revolving door management-wise. Far more efficient, obviously...

Zou likes this.
  12. RovingMike

Certainly happens. You don't cut out layers of experienced people without losing something. I remember in my days handling RAF recruitment advertising the view seemed to be they could under pay the higher (NCO) ranks because the economy was so bad outside that people would be happy to join up and progess upwards. Well I met some of those recruits and many left as soon as they had gained a trade and few saw it as a career. Was not long before they found no-one could pass the promotion exams to sergeant. One year was actually 0% pass rate.

13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Morrisons' problems stem from it moving away from its core structure which was high on frontline staff and low on layers of management. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians and department managers are really just glorified supervisors. One of the changes that former CEO, Dalton Phillips, made that damaged the business.

Learning likes this.
  14. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I can see a mass of shop floor staff being axed as well. With the advent of these self checkout points this will inevitably result in the loss of people working at the tills. I have found them to be so unreliable and fussy I have stopped using them and wait in the queue - it is quicker in the long run!

That has happened already with Sainsburys over the past 18 months.

Have you heard of the quote 'unexpected consequences'? This has happened in all the major shops such as the two already mentioned. What I am talking about is the - 'minimum or living wage'. Yes staff deserved more than they were getting, but...…..as the wage level crept up to it's current level, staff were made redundant so the wage bill did not rise significantly. I bet the top bosses didn't loose out on their bonuses though:mad:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  15. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

The issues that Adrian and Mike have highlighted also occurred to me as you then have this big gap in expertise which has been cast out. This must really pee-off those who were hoping to climb up the promotion ladder, but also those in jobs above those laid off because they'll be asked to take on those 'lost' tasks as well?

I don't know what the structure of office workers is, but I'm guessing it's composed of even more layers, so maybe this will this also happen in that employment sector as well? There could be a lot of Uni Graduates wondering where they are going to be employed, plus if all the time they spent in University was worth it? Presumably, LIDL and ALDI don't subscribe to a large number of layers, not too sure if the same applies within IKEA.

Is the concept of multiple layers within businesses a British trait, due to the UK's long-standing obsession with 'Class' and status?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

For those poor souls who are part of Blur's "50%" the answer would appear to be "no". :(

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

A "flat" management structure sounds great but when you have managers, all classed as being the same grade, reporting to others on that grade who themselves report to a manager on the same grade you get confusion. As a result I used to go to the person every one else reported to.

18. RovingMike

Speaking of layers of management, we used to have a statistician, who was first person to use a laptop. He wrote this little programme he called a Pomposity Generator. It had dozens of words like vice, assistant, deputy, director, head, president, chief, executive, manager, meaningful, progressive, corporate and so on almost ad infinitum. When he ran it, it mixed them up and spewed out endless impressive-sounding job titles.

John Farrell, Learning and Footloose like this.
  19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I have 'liked' a couple of previous posts because I agree with them not that I like the effect on the people concerned.
    Morrisons seems to be flexible in the range of products that they sell. I think that to be sensible. The shop in Gamston is very much more up market compared to the one in Clifton.

On a happier note Morrisons now have chocolate Ginger biscuits, in their own brand range; they rival M&S chocolate gingers. Nice dark slightly bitter chocolate and flecks of stem ginger in the biscuit. I hope that they sell enough to continue stocking them. I will do my bit to help achieve that.

Zou likes this.
  20. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Have to give them a try; wondering if they'll usurp my current favourite, Border's dark chocolate and orange biscuits. ... OMG! my mouth's watering just thinking about these!