1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

More birding attempts (3)

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by CircleOfConfusion, Feb 24, 2008.

1. CircleOfConfusion

CircleOfConfusion Well-Known Member

Here's a few of my better shots from a weekend or two ago, this time with 200ISO and hopefully better results.

Blackbirds
    [​IMG]
    Medium Size
    Large Size

[​IMG]
    Medium Size
    Large Size
    I think I prefer the first as there's more detail in the feathers and he sticks out a bit more. I'm not sure if they are big enough in the frame, do I need to get a little closer?

Chaffinch
    [​IMG]
    Medium Size
    Large Size
    I'm pretty chuffed with this shot although I wish he'd been side on maybe or had a bit more light on the right hand side. I've only cropped a bit off the right and top to stop him being dead centre. He was pretty much on the edge of the close focus distance so no chance of getting closer until i get an extension tube :rolleyes:

2. Linux_Lady

Linux_Lady Well-Known Member

Oh wow, love the last shot - seems slightly a shame you have him face on - I think it would have been better if you got a side view perhaps? more of the bird, that way :)

The other two are also really nice and you have managed to get the entire reflection of the birds.. something I always have to think about before snapping, else I always get the bird and half the reflection and the bird...In *fact* when looking at your photos larger... the reflection is really, really good - very clear.

I do think closer would be better but they are very nice and the lighting is pretty good too, not 'dreary' or dull.

How do you get the birds to stay still? I find as soon as I pick up my camera, the gits fly away :)

3. CLG

CLG Well-Known Member

I have the same problem :( with the them flying away or being scared by my 2 sons :(

I do like the 3rd picture the best

4. CircleOfConfusion

CircleOfConfusion Well-Known Member

Thank you for your comments.

Yeah I was hoping for a side view too but this was the best I could get in approx. 5 seconds he stood their for better luck next time hopefully :rolleyes:

I have to admit that getting the reflections was more luck than judgement and a product of me trying to get some shoots of the birds drinking and bathing.

I was lucky with the afternoon light although I have quite a few dreary shots as most the birds like to sit in the shadowy end of the pond :(

Getting them to stay still is not easy, I'm finding shutter speeds of 125/sec or faster are needed with most small birds as they don't sit very still, also after watching them for a while you get an idea of when their going to stop what their doing for a second or two.

I also admit to finding it almost impossible to capture a good shot whilst out and about. These were all taken from a hide at my local RSPB reserve, which guarantees plenty of birds but means I can't get any closer than the hide allows (about 4 meters)