1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More and

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by Brian, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

2. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Nice shot
    I honestly would not discredit the picture as taken with a phone. Which begs the question why do you shoot the Leica??

I’m beginning to think of my proper cameras like best dinner service, We make do with mugs and plates all year, but special occasions sees the better stuff come out, but the blasted food still tastes the same!!
    Maybe I’m missing something…….

Is it because it’s just too easy and we can’t take credit ??

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Use the tool(s) that works best for you at that place and time. The finest camera in the world is the one in your hand when the picture's in front of you. Brian's getting what he wants from a phone, as are many people, because they can have it with them always.

4. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I wasn’t knocking Brian, I’m the same Andrew. I take my iPhone for granted, it’s a miracle. Besides soccer and the (very) occasional macro I use my iPhone exclusively for snaps - it’s just too convenient.
    Yes, the Fuji’s retro stying is seductive, sexy and harks back to the Leica swinging hey days of picture post, Life etc etc But the bloody inconvenience of having to carry it along with spare batteries (maybe spare lenses too) so you’ll need a bag. Fun just went out of the window.
    Camera manufacturers know exactly what makes us tick, which is why it’s so hard to resist these temptations. But I always revert back to the ease of my humble smartphone, always in my pocket, always there ready to be used.

We’ve just bought a new 65” TV and I’m loving viewing snaps I took with my iPhone, the videos look great too.

5. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I certainly go along with your analogy. On another forum I was asked a similar question. I suppose the answer is I have long been a one camera and one lens photographer. As I get older lugging photographic equipment around gets less and less attractive. The iPhone does me well and the b/w images printed atA3+ are so like film of forty years ago.

So why do I shoot Leica?

Plain truth is I don't, well very rarely. Since I bought the iPhone my Leica Q-P has been out of the house twice for about three weeks....about 100 exposures. The Leica Q2 Mono hasn't been outside and perhaps twenty indoor shots playing. My other favourite the X Pro2 hasn't seen the light of day. Apart from experimental shots my Fliker output has been 95% iPhone.

and for me the most important thing is fun.......and the phone is fun and at the same time a trifle naughty. And Andrew is perfectly right when says I am getting what I want using the phone.

In fact although a confirmed b/w user I even like the colours out of the phone. This first one " The Kiss" is actually a " Selfie".;)

[​IMG]untitled (2 of 4)-9 by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

[​IMG]untitled (16 of 56) by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    ptermx, dream_police and spinno like this.
  6. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I love that seccond one, Brian - it makes me imagine Joye Grenfell monologues!

spinno and Brian like this.
  7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Brian, some times I look at your well observed images and wonder why I bother!

Then I go back to my wildlife images and realise that I can, occasionally, get a decent result.

spinno and Brian like this.
  8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I'm always knocked out by the images produced by Brian and Pentax Pete. Their eyes for images are fantastic, and yet they are both so modest when praised for their efforts. Guys you rock...!

9. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Stop it you will make an old man blush.

Thank you:)

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Excellent shots Brian.

11. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I might be modest but it really is great to be appreciated. Photographically I exist in a sort of vacuum, this and the Fuji forum are my only contact with like minded people. I can only converse through my pictures, I never get into technical debates or equipment evaluation. I simply take my happy snaps, my cameras are all used as they came out of the box apart from spot metering and focus, Auto ISO although on the Leica my preference is 6400. And the only control I use is the aperture ring. All this allows me to concentrate on the only important thing, looking and seeing a subject.....the rest is easy.

I am working on trying to cut out editing and to use DNG files straight out of the camera.Here is a test shot with the Leica Q2 Mono.

This at 800 ISO

[​IMG]ffffgfg by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

And then one at my preferred 6400 ISO

[​IMG]untitled (3 of 4)-2-Edit by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

The more operations I can cut out the better. These have had a border and vignette added.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    zx9r likes this.