1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moon photo. (Pointers please)

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Pete Bony, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

I got this photo of the moon on Friday 2 days after the full moon. I am reasonably happy with it but would welcome any pointers that you can offer than might help with lunar photography.
    This photo was taken with my SX50 tripod mounted, however I did not use shutter lock up or my remote trigger switch which I ought really to have done.
    Moon 003.JPG

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Dunno really. That looks pretty good for a compact and better than any result I've had. In terms of counting the craters all you can do is pick a day of excellent visibility as the atmosphere is the biggest source of image degradation. Perhaps there is some post-processing magic to be done to increase edge definition. Apart from that the options are better glass/bigger sensor and tracking mounts to allow longer or multiple exposures all of which gets expensive. Pictorially, setting the moon in some landscape setting is a challenge. It can be much smaller in the frame and still hold the level of detail that you have there.

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

It's okay but all the clarity is on the right hand edge which leaves a big section that's not got much detail in it. Also, I really think two days after the full moon is too days too late unless you're aiming to get a sequence to show all the phases.

4. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

It's all extremes with you, Pete!

If it's not little things, very close it's huge things, far away!

Cheers, Jeff

EightBitTony likes this.
  5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I'd be over the moon with that shot (yes, I went there). Yes there are technical improvements which can be made, whether they're a limitation of the camera, or the setup, I don't know. I think you've already identified one, but in terms of the actual shot, impressive.

6. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

I would have liked to have got the Full Moon but the weather stopped that as there was too much cloud, two days after the full moon was the first time that the sky was clear enough. If the weather is suitable for me to photograph the next full moon I now that I have a better idea of what I am doing I would be more inclined to use my 300mm lens with the 2X multiplier.
    This first attempt was mainly to see what I was up against and what i might need to do to improve so I am very thankful for all of the feedback.

7. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I always prefer for the moon to be not full. You get lots of detail and definition along the terminator. Nicely done though. ;)