1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monochrome A4 inkjet printer

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by SqueamishOssifrage, Apr 19, 2019.

1. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I am getting colour casts on the panchromatic prints from my current A3+ Epson printer, which has got only one black cartridge. I have some prints to make in B&W, but they are only A4 in size, so am quite happy to punt for a new A4 printer that can handle true blacks - but I can't find any.

I throw myself on the mercy of the AP hive mind, in the hope that someone can come up with a candidate.

Pretty please! :)

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

As far as I know all printers use at least some colour to synthesise mono-tones, even those with additional grey inks.

Afterthought: could be you have a blocked colour - try cleaning the heads and running a print test and perhaps also an alignment check.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  3. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

I have looked into so many printers to get good b&w and must say epson have been the best, if it’s colour cast then it can only really be double profiling which I’m sure your already aware of or a blocked head or cartridge. I know epson have had a bad press re head problems but the latest Surecolour P800 definitely seem to have cured this and the results certainly are excellent. The Scp 600 (A3plus) is the same.
    I would highly recommend it.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I seem to remember that there dedicated mono ink systems for some Epson printers, I think they were produced or marketed by Lyson. It does mean the printer has to be dedicated to b&w though.

5. SqueamishOssifrage

Thanks, but I always do a nozzle check and alignment check before every printing session. It uses very little ink compared to finding out half way through an A3+ colour print!

6. SqueamishOssifrage

Thanks! I will check out the Surecolour P800 on the web to see if it might fit the bill.

7. SqueamishOssifrage

Thanks - I didn't know about that. I will check out Lyson, as I only want it for B&W anyway. My big Epson is fine for colour.

8. PeteRob

There was a thread on Lyson - couple of years ago. I think it's a continous ink conversion.

9. SqueamishOssifrage

I appear to have solved the original problem of colour casts. I dumped the paper profile and let the Epson printer manage colours in Photoshop, printing on Epson Matte Heavyweight instead of Ilford Smooth Pearl. Not a trace of colour casts - beautiful neutral print!

peterba and EightBitTony like this.
  10. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

@SqueamishOssifrage Interesting........ did it require both of these things (i.e. printer managing colour + using Epson Matte Heavyweight) before it printed without a cast?

11. SqueamishOssifrage

There was a slight difference between the Ilford and the Epson paper prints, but that could have been down to the different finishes. The big change was from not using Photoshop with the Ilford profile, but telling PS to leave everything to the printer, and then telling the printer what to do in the driver dialogue. For the Ilford Pearl I specified Epson Semi-gloss, which probably accounts for the minor difference.

I have posted some time back about the surprisingly good results from printing directly from the default Sony software (Image Data Converter SR) straight to the Epson, so I guess the answer is that Epson write damn good driver software.

peterba likes this.
  12. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

This is what puzzles me - I've tried the settings that you describe, but I still get a colour cast on mono prints. Admittedly, my printer is only a 'cheapo' Epson model (Expression range) but I had hoped for better. Meanwhile, colour prints from it are quite satisfactory.

I don't do a great deal of home printing, but a lot of my output is mono, so it's beginning to look as though I might have to invest in a printer that is more suited to mono printing.

Edit
    : I don't use the paper-types that you mention - how much of a role would you say the paper type plays in this?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  13. PeteRob

Could it be swapping from a gloss to matte paper? Multi-ink printers usually have different blacks, often said to be for the two finishes, although my Canon printer gets through both cartridges equally quickly even though I rarely print on matte paper.

14. SqueamishOssifrage

My printer is also fairly down-market - an Epson Stylus Photo 1500W with only a single black cartridge. It is, however. a six cartridge printer, so in addition to the usual CMYK it has light cyan and light magenta. I have no idea of how it mixes and matches the colours to get black - or even if it does. It also uses Claria inks, for what it's worth.

peterba likes this.