1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Mono pod essential

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by RobertCoombes, Jun 1, 2020.

1. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

I am finding that a monopod must be used for low shots; it is the only way to get up.

MJB likes this.
  2. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

OLD ..................!

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Also useful in certain areas where carrying a baseball bat might be considered provocative...

4. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Years back I was questioned by the Police "Why was I carrying it" my manfrotto, they perhaps didn't see the b***** camera round my neck

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

A tripod is even better. I think it also settles the robustness question. If you can put your full weight on it ....

One of the reasons I can't understand "losing" my Manfrotto monopod is indeed its essential use as a stick. I can't conceive that I left it somewhere while I was out and about. If I'd sat down I'd have used it to get up. Maybe it will still turn up somewhere in the house.

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

When I took my old Manfrotto to Austria many years ago I was greeted by cheerful Germanics praising my Alpenstock. First time I thought it was just someone being funny but then I realised that was just what they thought it was!

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I've only ever taken my monopod abroad once, to Canada, I have absolutely no memory of either using it or bringing it back but it is here with me now.

8. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I must confess I use my monopod as much as a walking stick as a camera support. As a result, I never use my monopod anymore. That's not because I don't walk anymore, though. I have substituted it with either a Brasher waling pole with a B&S head for 'light' walks and cameras, or a Gitzo Trek-pole with a monopod head for the more serious stuff and a heavier camera.

I find a walking pole, with its fewer number of sections, much faster to get into photo length from walking length, than a monopod.

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

My remaining monopod is a Benbo. It only has two sections and adjustment is trivial. I just looked and Patterson still sell it. Mine must be all of 40 years old.

10. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

That's worth knowing - thanks.

My retired monopod had four sections with locking collars, and took an age to adjust.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have one of the older ones with a Benbo ball and socket head. I also have a later one with the elbow and I am less impressed with that.

12. Andrew Flannigan

I too have the Benbo 2 piece monopod. Much quicker to use than the Manfrotto (which went to a good home) and lighter as well.