1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Monitor finally died .. replacement options, anyone?

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Rupert49, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

My 11 year-old Samsung 23" monitor has finally died. A teccie friend has lent me a spare BenQ 22" to see me through till I buy a new one.

I'm not a gamer and I think I've only really got space on my worktop for a 24", although if a 27" doesn't sit too high on its stand it might just fit between the spur brackets that support the shelf immediately above where the monitor sits. However, I obviously want high quality image capability for photo processing.

I can of course go through the Techradar, Pcmag and Digitaltrends (to name the first 3 that came up) 'Best monitors of 2020' articles - which I propose to do - but I thought I'd just put it out there in case there's a high consensus of opinion towards one or two makes. Cost isn't the biggest driver at the moment, although I'm not in for silly money.

Any helpful and/or sensible words of advice from like minded people would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

4. Rupert49

Thank you Stephen, that's probably about as much as I want to spend, i.e. £300-£500-ish seems about right (my PC cost just under a grand 11 years ago).

Thank you Geoff, budget is probably between £300-£500 (see above). As for resolution, I'm told 4K is probably unnecessary since there are so few sources at that resolution. I shan't be watching films or playing games anyway, just web browsing but principally photo processing (Photoshop, etc.).

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Fair enough, as I said I see no point in having a lower resolution external monitor with my MacBook Pro but if you don't need 4K save the money and get the best 1080 monitor you can.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think Eizo is probably the best route to go nowadays for photo-editing. I've got a 12 year old NEC P221W Multisync as my monitor and there doesn't seem to be anything similar around anymore.

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Dell IPS monitors are pretty good. My 27" screen is fantastic, and they're reasonably inexpensive.

8. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I'd second that. Dell actually do some decent monitors.

9. Rupert49

Thank you Everybody for your kind replies to my plea for suggestions.

I have no problems with Dell (my previous PC gave me years of satisfaction) but, following a bit of in depth research, I've followed the advice of two forum members above and decided to go for an Enzio CS2420. I spoke at length with a couple of friendly and helpful chaps at their UK office in Ascot, where the specifics of colour gamut and other features relating to this monitor were well explained to this technical novice.

Amazon have this monitor on at £593, but by far the best offer out there is good old WEX, at £539. I've dealt extensively with WEX over the years and have no qualms placing my business with them once again. As it happens, all Enzio monitors carry a 5-year warranty to boot, so can't be bad.

10. Rupert49

It's a few weeks since I set up my new CS2420 monitor and I can honestly say I'm delighted with it. I thought I'd just wind up this thread by expressing once again my thanks to those who suggested I take a look at Eizo monitors (thank you Stephen and Pete).

Fen likes this.