1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modern-day GM5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by IvorETower, Oct 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

The GM5 really is getting a bit long-in-the-tooth these days but used prices are holding up remarkably well, assuming that you can track one down.

What do others think can be called its modern-day equivalent? I'm struggling to find anything that is almost as small yet fully capable, and also has interchangeable lenses. There appear to be a few options if you don't mind dispensing with a viewfinder, or the LX100 if you don't mind losing the ability to change lenses.... and there isn't a MFT lens that comes close to the one on the LX100.

New LX100's (the mark II variety) seem very expensive for what they are, so I'd be interested to know what others think... I still believe it to be a great shame that Panasonic discontinued the GM range

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Lumix G100?

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Me too. I wouldn't be without mine...

Cameras Panasonic GM5 white background SL300 DSCF3760.JPG

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

GX-80?

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

GX-80 and G100 are a lot bigger than the GM5, nothing seems to get close to its diminutive dimensions (I ended up with a used GX80 when buying a used 12-32 lens last year as it was little extra money)

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The GX7 is the next size up from the GM5, so far as I can tell. It's also discontinued but they are plentiful on the used market. The tiltable screen and viewfinder are very nice indeed...

Camera Panasonic GX7 with 12-32 on clothes pole TZ70 P1030602.jpg

7. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I know little about the MkII, but the MkI is a nice camera. It's available used at about £300. If I were in the market for a MkI (I'm not - but that's because I already have one ;)) I would be prepared to pay that sort of sum for it.

The only minor annoyance, for me, is that the lens retraction system operates too soon, when it hasn't been used for a short period of time. A tilt screen would have been nice, too - but it doesn't have one, so that's that. Apart from those two (fairly minor) gripes, I find the LX100 MkI to be very satisfactory.